We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can someone help me please?

Level Contributor
14 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Can someone help me please?

Hi,

Hope you are all keeping well.

Me and my boyfriend are both in our late twenties and are planning our first trip to Thailand in April 2014 for 2 weeks. I have done loads of research and have came up with an sample itinerary which is as follows:

11th April: Land in Bangkok early morning

12th April: Day trip to Ayutthaya

13th April: Songkran

14th April: Fly to Koh Samui and spend the night

15th April: Ferry to Koh Tao and spend 2 nights here (boyfriend wants to do some diving)

17th April: Ferry to Koh Phangan and spend the night

18th April: Ferry to Koh Samui for a flight to Phuket. Land in Phuket early afternoon and spend the night

19th April: Ferry to Phi Phi for the night

20th April: Ferry to Lanta for the night.

21st April: Ferry back to Phuket and stay the night

22nd April: Get taxi to Koh Lak and stay for 3 nights

24th April: Flight from Phuket to Bangkok for flight at 01.50 on Friday 25th April.

This seems like a lot of travelling as we do want to be able relax and do some activities etc and not have a holiday spent on a ferry but I am finding it really hard to leave anything out.

What are your opinions? Should I do one set of islands e.g. Ko Tao, Ko Phangan, Ko Samui or Ko Phi Phi, Lanta? Or should I do one from each set of islands? We want to be able to relax during the day but have a bit of nightlife at night that we can go for a few drinks and a dance.

Is Koh Lak worth spending 3 nights or would you spend those nights somewhere else and leave out Koh Lak altogether? I have heard that the diving is very good around the Similan Islands?

Also I have read about Hua Hin since I did the itinerary above and that really appeals to me too. Would it be worth chopping one of the islands to go here?

I really look forward to hearing your opinions. Thailand has me completely baffled because everywhere just sounds as amazing as each other.

Thank you in advance.

Lisa

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can someone help me please?

Hi

Yes you have a lot of travel around to do. I would skip Hua Hin as is only one that out of the way of your itinerary.

I also skip Phuket.

Day 18th I would fly to krabi instead of Phuket. If you fly to Phuket then you backtrack yourselves. If you fly to krabi with Bangkok airways ( sole airlines this route one flight daily).

From krabi ferry to koh Lanta - ferry to koh phi phi - ferry back to krabi and fly back to Bangkok from krabi .

I would skip Khao lak and utilize that time in koh phi phi and koh Lanta instead. Spend one migh reach on the island you will constant pack and unpack and lose so much time for traveling.

I hope this make sense.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 16:17
Level Contributor
14 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can someone help me please?

Hi sweetpea6468,

That makes perfect sense, thank you for your opinions. I really appreciate it. I hadn't thought of Krabi as an option. However, is Phuket not a must when visiting Thailand?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can someone help me please?

." However, is Phuket not a must when visiting Thailand?"

Can't think of any really compelling reason why it would be a must.

perth
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can someone help me please?

You're welcome :)

+ 1 for Chris's comment.

In April from 13th-15th ( this year the new year falls on the weekend that's mean the Thai will have 2 extra days off) is the Thai new year( Songkran) the biggest holiday for the Thais and the busiest time in Thailand. The pre and post of transport systems are usually in the grid locked. I would advice you book your transports and hotel rooms ASAP. For accoms look here form some ideas www.sawadee.com/

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,015 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can someone help me please?

Sorry, but this looks like an awful itinerary, there are way too many 1 night stays (in fact most of it is one night stays), a complete waste of time and energy in my opinion. I would be cutting back on the itinerary and actually enjoying some of the places you are visiting!

I don't understand why you would do a day trip to Ayutthaya when there is a lot to see and do in Bangkok?

Why not fly to Chumphon with Nok Air and use their transfer services to Koh Tao instead of going to Samui? 1 night on Koh Phangan - really?

I would choose just one coast, east or west and enjoy your time there, you really have no time for relaxing, most of your holiday will be spent travelling, packing and unpacking and waiting for check in to hotels.

Phuket is not a must unless you want to see the over touristy part of Thailand, but the surrounding areas to Phuket are stunning.

6. Re: Can someone help me please?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 05:18