We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket - patong questions

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket - patong questions

We are flying out to Thailand on 15marc and staying at patong beach . Is it safe there ?,? Here in Australia there has been a lot of BAD publicity in regards to Bali so is it the same with patong . Like methanol poisioning , food poisioning etc . I have never been to Thailand before .

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,581 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket - patong questions

Never heard of methanol in Thailand. Like anywhere else do not leave your drinks unattended particularly in night clubs. From time to time people get sick due to food poisoning but I believe this to be rare and in 7 trips I have only been sick once and I don't believe this had anything to do with food. Drink bottled water only. The ice in bars and hotels is safe. A short time ago there were reports of a virus going around but that seems to have gone away. Personally I find Thailand to be cleaner than Bali but that's just my opinion. Millions of tourists go to Phuket every year and don't get sick. Just take reasonable precautions and you will be fine.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,111 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket - patong questions

Thailand is not Bali, they are completely different and should never be compared. Been going to Thailand since 1994 and never had food poisoning. Of course it does happen, but I've not heard of cases of death from it. They don't say 'Bali Belly' for nothing.

Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket - patong questions

Thanks heaps for the replies . It's eased my mind a lot lol . Do they have the same power points as we do in Australia ( assuming u guys r from oz ) or will I need adapters for phone chargers etc .

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,111 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket - patong questions

Different power points 2 or 3 pins:

thailandguru.com/img/electricity-wall-outlet…

If you have lots of things to charge, phone, camera etc take a gang plug set from home and plug that into the adapter.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 21:49
Rockhampton...
Level Contributor
7 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket - patong questions

I can purchase them at the airport ???? Or can I get them from Harvey Norman etc

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
26,111 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket - patong questions

You can buy them once there, I've seen them in the shops there. The Airport is always expensive, you can buy them at K-Mart, Big W etc.

7. Re: Phuket - patong questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 February 2015, 05:20