We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shoes and etiquette

Brisbane, Australia
5 posts
Save Topic
Shoes and etiquette

Hi

Just wondering if its ok to put your shoes in your bag when you have to take them off ie a temple etc or it this just as rude? I've heard that shoes may 'go wandering' occasionally and I'd rather not have to replace comfy shoes whilst I'm over there! Even if it is rare I'd rather be safe than barefoot

Thanks!

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shoes and etiquette

I had wondered the same thing. We will be visiting next weekend and I would hate to lose my Birkenstocks!

Can I also ask about attire for temples? I have read conflicting reports saying that as long as shoulders and knees are covered all is ok. Another report has said long sleeves and long pants. Would appreciate comments for both men and women please.

Thank you.

Buck

Copenhagen
Level Contributor
9 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shoes and etiquette

Culturally taking your shoes inside is not okay in Thailand even if it's in a handbag. However, I've been to many temples in Asia and have never experienced problems in finding my shoes again.

You should be okay with half sleeves and knees covered. Avoid tops without sleeves.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,374 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shoes and etiquette

See here for information about dress code for temple visits tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k716…

As for shoes, no-one would notice if they were in your bag.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,323 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shoes and etiquette

Uh, there are millions of stalls selling jandal, knock-off birkenstocks, havianas, kevas (walking sandals) etc... some people say they're just as comfy as the real ones... so shoes are replaceable.

Though it would suck to lose your comfy authentic faves... It shouldn't be a problem to put within your bags.

Re: clothing. Often depends on the temple. Golden palace in Bangkok, you must be fully covered, shoulders and knees, they prefer women in skirts there, they have rentable skirts to put over if needed.

In respecting thai culture and beliefs you should always cover knees and shoulders. Despite many of the places you visit likely being very touristy, you are still in thailand where it is rude to walk around wearing little more than a bikini. The only thai women you see in hot pants and singlets are generally 'working' and/or lady boys...

Always carry a light scarf/sarong that you can use to cover (is also handy as air con on transport is often freezing.

Brisbane Aus
Level Contributor
676 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shoes and etiquette

Thanks for your replies. Everyone seems to have a different experience. We are only intending to visit Wat Pho and Wat Arun so perhaps they are not as strict?? I was intending to take a shawl with me if my clothing was deemed inappropriate.

Pineapplesensei, my bikini days are well and truly over !! Was mostly thinking of adult sons and husbands who will have to wear long pants.

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shoes and etiquette

Only grand palace enforces dress code - should be fine elsewhere.

Shoes - no worries they will be safe outside.

7. Re: Shoes and etiquette

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2015, 06:20