We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which insurance company will cover civil unrest / terrorism?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Which insurance company will cover civil unrest / terrorism?

Hi all,

Four of us have booked a totally non-refundable trip to Thailand over Easter for 10 days and we are now looking at travel insurance. Most of the companies I have looked at so far don't cover 'civil unrest' or 'terrorism' at all, so we are wondering which companies do?

I was looking at CoverMore but they are *very expensive* so I am wondering if anyone can help out and recommend any other insurers who cover these situations, please?

I know the current civil unrest is mainly in Bangkok which is where we are transiting, but we are staying on Ko Phangan.

Thanks for your help! :)

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
4,953 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which insurance company will cover civil unrest / terrorism?

if not staying in bkk, and or actually near one of the protest sites, you really shouldn't have anything to worry about.

airport closure would be your only worry, and doubt very much if that would happen again. if it did, just delay your visit by a day or so, as simply reroute and fly in elsewhere Phuket, Krabi

Edited: 19 February 2014, 07:28
Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Which insurance company will cover civil unrest / terrorism?

Very few insurance companies cover terrorism, civil unrest or war. They are high risk items, and as you discovered the few companies that do cover them charge huge premiums. And trying to buy a new policy from those companies for travel to an area where civil unrest is already occurring could be difficult.

But as UdornLA said, as long as you are not near the protest areas, you should be just fine. Just keep an eye on the news and be prepared.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
42,267 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which insurance company will cover civil unrest / terrorism?

When you book a holiday you should immediately book travel insurance to cover anything that happens that could affect your holiday from that point on. Even if a travel insurance policy covers civil unrest or terrorism if that unrest is already happening or started after you booked your holiday it is unlikely that the policy will cover a Pre Existing Condition. So even if you find one that normally covers civil unrest you you should check with the insurer whether taking it out now would cover you for the situation in Bangkok if it should escalate to the point where you had to cancel. In any event you should be taking out the insurance for other events such as illnesses and medical emergencies, flight delays, lost luggage etc..

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which insurance company will cover civil unrest / terrorism?

Thanks to everyone for their responses! :)

I am pleased to say we had our trip and it was all fine - except Phuket airport where the customs officer tried to get us to pay a bribe to skip the huge queues - what a joke!

Our insurance was through Virgin Money in the end who insisted that they would cover anything that happened in any area, as long as the smarttraveller.com.au site did not say, 'Do Not Travel'. I hope that helps someone else wondering the same thing as I was in these turbulent times...

Thanks again! :D

5. Re: Which insurance company will cover civil unrest / terrorism?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 05:15