We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Narrowing Down Location

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Help Narrowing Down Location

Hi Everyone

My fiance and I are considering going to Thailand for our honeymoon but I seem to be confusing myself so I thought I would ask for some help.

We are looking to go somewhere more resort like as opposed to a city. We want somewhere with a great hotel, some amazing views, and good food. If possible we would also like to be able to take day trips, either into a town or the boat trips to various locations. Can anyone help me narrow down what parts of Thailand I should be focusing on? From what I have seen so far I like Krabi and Koh Samui...do these fit with what we are looking for?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

Can anyone offer any advice at all?

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

What timeout year are you travelling? This will totally dictate on the suggestions you will get as Krabi and Koh Samui are on different sides of Thailand and therefore have almost opposite monsoon seasons.

If you can give an idea of budget that will also help :)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

Opps! I meant to include the month

We would be going the last 2 weeks of August. Probably around 9 days and a budget of £4000 (I know my profile is Canada but we are leaving from Manchester as hubby is British). We were thinking of doing all inclusive but were told not to bother in Thailand

Edited: 20 February 2014, 22:58
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

Hi

If August then head to east coast / gulf of Thailand ( koh Samui, koh Tao and koh phangan) for better weather. It is dry season In this coast.

Krabi is in the west/ Andaman coast and in August you will be in the middle of rainy season.

For some ideas of accommodations have a look here www.sawadee.com/hotel/kohsamui

Good luck

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

Oh really? Boooo! We found a few places we really liked in Krabi

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

Yes really ..that being said no one knows what's the weather will be like each year. You could take a risk, you could be a lucky one with no rains or less rain. But definitely the ocean will be rough at that time which will prevent you from water base activity.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 00:04
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

The rain isn't so much the main issue during monsoon, although you will undoubtedly see rain, it usually passes quickly, however, sea conditions are what can put a dampener on things as seas can be very rough during monsoon and mean no swimming (very dangerous) and often boat trips will be cancelled - as detailed by Pea already.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

Definitely don't do all inclusive in Thailand! The food is one of the main attractions for me and you can eat so cheaply outside of the resorts. AI you will miss out on one of the best experience of Thailand travel.

I would also go to Koh Samui/Koh Tao/Koh Phangan in August. You could be lucky in Krabi however as it is monsoon season you will be taking a risk that your holiday will be affected.

With 9 days you could split your time between the islands or stay in KS and do day trips to the others. Check out hotels in Choeng Mon and Chaweng Noi for some ideas of beaches etc.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

In August i would definitely go with Koh Samui and if you're looking for a nice beach then Krabi isn't that great, you were given the correct info about not bothering with all inclusive, food and drink is not expensive in Thailand and it's one of the reasons that people like Thailand so much.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
284 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Narrowing Down Location

Can I ask thoughts on these two hotels based on what we are looking for?

Kupu Kupu Phangan Villas & Santhiya Resort & Spa, Koh Phangan

We also liked Mai Samui but from what I am understanding its very far away from everything?

Thanks so much for the info everyone. I'm glad I didn't make a huge mistake and end up with horrible weather and/or on an island where we couldnt swim etc. I love tripadvisor :)