We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary / Transport Suggestions Please

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary / Transport Suggestions Please

Hi guys

Seriously long time lurker and reader of these forums for our travels but this is my first post!

We are planning a trip to Thailand this year in August. Thsi will be my partner's first trip to a really different culture having only been to Australia or Pacific Islands before, hence we are wanting to experience a couple of different places.

We have 3 weeks available, does need to be in August due to work committments. So we want to visit Phuket, Koh Samui (general area - open to the islands as options) and Bangkok on this trip.

My initial plan was to fly into Bangkok and then onto Phuket as a domestic flight, possibly with one night in Bangok depending on flight times. We don't plan to "see" Bangkok on this bit. Spend 8 nights in Phuket then move to Koh Samui for another 8 ish nights then back to Bangkok for 4 ish nights before flying home.

Ideally would like to do in that order as I expect to shop in Bangkok and don't want to lug it all around and I also expect the weather to be better in KS at that time of year (fingers crossed) so would like that to be the more relaxing middle of the trip.

My question really relates to the best (cost vs. time vs. reliability) ways of travelling between these places. I have read LOTS of comments suggesting it would be better to focus on just Phuket or KS but on this particular trip we want to experience both.

Stacey

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,411 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary / Transport Suggestions Please

Hi,

Check out Nok Air and and Air Asia for budget flights to Phuket from Bangkok. To get from Phuket to Koh Samui look in to flying with Bangkok Airways. And, to get back to Bangkok from Koh Samui there are direct flights with Bangkok Airways. There are also cheaper alternatives with Nok Air and Air Asia which involve a sea crossing to the mainland and a bus transfer to Surat Thani airport.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary / Transport Suggestions Please

Hi welcome to Thailand forums!!

August you will have better weather ( dry season) in koh Samui ( east coast ) and its neighboring islands the like of koh toa and koh phangan. Phuket in August you will be in the middle of rainy season. That being said no one can tell what the weather going to be like each year.

If you have 3 weeks i would highly recommend you go up north to Chiangmai and / or Chiangrai for a week. And the rest between Bangkok and koh Samui.

From Bangkok you can go straight up to Chiangmai - from Chiangmai you can fly direct to koh Samui with Bangkok airways ( cheaper options fly with air Asia, nook airs to mainland with ferry across to koh Samui)- from koh smaui fly to Bangkok do shopping and home. Just my thought :)

Hamilton, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary / Transport Suggestions Please

Thank you for the replies :-)

Internal flights do seem fairly reasonable and obviously remove days wasted travelling long distances. I have seen comments about a ferry type trip between KS and Phuket, does this go both ways?

We are pretty set on Phuket due to some friends based there so don't really want to skip it. I completely appreciate the suggestion about Chiangmai, my parents spend 6-8 weeks basing themselves there most years and appreciate the weather, culture, animals/activities. So it is on the list of 'to-dos' but probably not on this trip.

We may possibly be able to squeeze this trip in in June? Would that work better for weather on average? Obviously you never know what you'll get but we are hoping to avoid huge or ongoing downpours. Or would June also mean accommodation is getting fairly full at this stage?

Thanks

Stacey

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,951 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary / Transport Suggestions Please

"I have seen comments about a ferry type trip between KS and Phuket, does this go both ways?"

Anything that involves a ferry from Sami to Phuket will also involve a fairly lengthy road trip as well as they are on the opposites sides of Thailand with land in between.

Between around May and November Phuket is in monsoon, so you take your changes with the weather and may or may not be lucky, also sea conditions can be rough for day trips that can be cancelled and swimming can be a complete no no.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary / Transport Suggestions Please

June is changeable season in both west and east coasts. East changing to dry, west changing in to rainy season. But both in low season you will have plentiful of low rate hotel rooms to chose from.

As Cass says bus and ferry between Phuket and Samui will take long time anything from 7-10 hours. Bangkok airways fly between Phuket and koh Samui 5 flights daily and only take 55mins.

You could do the loop by fly with air Asia to Phuket from Bangkok - Phuket with Bangkok airs to Samui - Samui back to Bangkok by Thai or Bangkok air ways. Or cheaper options by Nok or air Asia from mainland. You will need to get from Samui with ferry and bus to airport.

Cheers,

6. Re: Itinerary / Transport Suggestions Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:21