We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking overnight train to Chiang Mai

Boston...
Level Contributor
21 posts
115 reviews
Save Topic
Booking overnight train to Chiang Mai

My wife and I will be taking an overnight train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. We would prefer train 13 to see more on the approach to Chiang Mai. I have seen information that train has only single berth sleeper compartments. Is it possible to book a two-berth sleeper for that train? if not, are there adjoining berths connected by a door? How do I make sure we are together in our booking? Does the number 1 train offer much opportunity to see the landscape heading into Chiang Mai? How can I make sure we share a berth on that train?

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,040 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Booking overnight train to Chiang Mai

This from Man in Seat 61 website:

"Train 13/14 Bangkok-Chiang Mai is an exception, as it has an ex-Japanese 1st class sleeper, which (uniquely for Thailand) has single-berth compartments, see the photos below. There are no 2-berth compartments on this train, but pairs of adjacent single-berth compartments have a connecting door, so berth 1 can be connected to berth 2, berth 3 to berth 4, and so on.

Trains 13 & 14 Bangkok-Chiang Mai have an ex-Japanese sleeping-car: Unlike all the other trains, trains 13 & 14 between Bangkok and Chiang Mai have an ex-Japanese Railways first class sleeping-car, which has 10 single-berth compartments. So if you book first class as a couple on this particular train, you'll get two separate single-bed compartments, there are no 2-berth compartments. The attendant will make up a mattress & bedding on the flat bed you see here,"

You will have to go through a booking agency and can ask them for connected berths. Royal Exclusive and Asia Discovery are both, currently, reliable agents:

www.royalexclusive.com

www.asia-discovery.com

If you can't sleep in the same room, you might as well just book 2nd class, which is no less comfortable and you still have to share toilets.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
687 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Booking overnight train to Chiang Mai

My wife and i caught train no1 last year and was about 5 hours late getting into Chiang Mai which let us see much of the mountain passes and scenery.Thai trains are notoriously late so i dont think it would be much difference between the two . (we had a first class cabin )

Have a good trip

3. Re: Booking overnight train to Chiang Mai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 06:18