We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Trip to Thailand

Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
First Trip to Thailand

Did some research, asked some people who been there. Hopefully I can get a few advice details on what I can do out there. First Trip will be around July 9th or 10th for a little over 2 weeks or so. Will be going by myself, possibly to join up with my best friend Alex while i'm there. Travel will be arranged so that's done. How much will I be needing for accomodation, street food, drinks and a little sightseeing. I'm a simple guy and can stay at the most run down place as long as there is a bed to sleep on while i recover from a night of drinking and maybe Air conditioning ?

Most likely will be waking up around 11am so 2 meals a day roughly ( lunch and dinner and street food ) I'm a big fan of culture so I would like to see some temples. A friend of mine spent about 50 Euros a day, but went all out on it daily, which includes scooter rentals, street food, and drinks and other stuffs.

In my end, I was thinking of taking about 1,000 - 1,500 USD for about roughly 18 days ... Hope that would be enough.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,338 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Trip to Thailand

Thailand is a big country. Any ideas which part or parts you are planning on visiting as that will impact on budget needed?

India
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Trip to Thailand

Hi planning a trip to thailand for the first time in August 2014 for about 8 days....is it crazy to want to do koh phi phi and koh tao on the same trip, given the duration?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,338 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Trip to Thailand

pmIndia84

Not very nice to hijack someone elses's unrelated topic until they have had chance to reply or get the information they want. Better if you start a new topic of your own please.

Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Trip to Thailand

I was just going to wing it, and go with what others say is the cheapest places to go. Most likely Pattaya, Bangkok, and just kind of back pack around... mostly going to wing it. I will probably set aside some money for accommodations so I can concentrate on other things... I learned the cheapest budget is like 10 euros a day, but extravagant can go for about 30 or more depending on itinerary...

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,405 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Trip to Thailand

Hi,

Since you are on such a low budget I suggest you go to Kanchanaburi. There are a number of cheap guest houses there. Lots in the way of history and natural beauty to keep you occupied but it isn't by the sea.

Ogden, Utah
Level Contributor
2,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Trip to Thailand

In Bangkok and your budget I'd look at Khao San Road for accomodations. Many guest houses, cheap accomodations, but clean and you can get air conditioning pretty easily on the cheap. Many street food stalls and cheap good restaurants, and many young tourists to meet from Europe also. It's fairly close to major attractions such as temples, the Grand Palace, etc and you can get to river for river taxis elsewhere such as the Taksin Bridge to ride the BTS skytrain to other popular areas of the city.

Check out the FAQs here on the Thailand forum page and also the Bnagkok forums page for things to do in and around Bangkok. Same for Pattaya --its forum page. The FAQs can only be seen with a computer, not an smart-phone.

Check one of the following sites for accomodations. All are safe, have good prices, reviews, pics, maps, and can be sorted by location in the city and price.

www.sawadee.com

www.asiarooms.com

www.hotels2thailand.com

www.agoda.com

Albufeira, Portugal
Level Contributor
12 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Trip to Thailand

50 euros a day with accommodations, food and drinking could be tight for 18 days. But i imagine that you would not drink every day and some days not spend your allotment. I would find it tight but achievable. I guess I would have to ask where you are going to drink and how much is jsut enough for you.

Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Trip to Thailand

Thank you For the Feed Back and it was really helpful. It gave me a really good idea on how much I may bring. I will most likely go for 2 weeks or so. Kachanaburi and Khao san road I will definitely research a bit and see what they got there. Does anyone know how much the accomodation would go around for so I can get a rough estimate ? preferably in Pattaya, Khao San Road and Kachanaburi ? I can manage on food and other things like drinks, sight seeing and all. by the way, I was probably going to bring around 1500 USD or a little more just to be on the safe side, but will definitely set aside some money for accomodation only. flights have been taking cared of.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,405 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Trip to Thailand

Hi,

You will easily get by on about 3,000 baht a day. In Kanchanaburi you will be able to find basic rooms for as little as 200 baht. For example, that is what the Jolly Frog costs. Indeed, it has a lovely garden by the river, great for relaxing and meeting other people. For cheap places to stay in Bangkok do check the links below:

www.hostels.com

www.hostelbookers.com

Anyway, with that kind of money you will be able to join some one-day tours and eat well, no worries !

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Trip to Thailand

Good low budget places are Ton Sai near Ao Nang, also Phi Phi and Koh Phangan. When I write 'good', tho' the word is relative.