We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Advice! Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh...

Palm Beach Gardens...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight Advice! Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh...

This is a repost of a question I posted in the Hong Kong forum, hoping for more insight into my option #1. Thanks!

Hello, I am booked on a China and Hong Kong tour this summer and have decided to pair it with a Vietnam tour and am struggling to decide what the best option for me is to get from Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh same day (can leave first thing in the morning any time, but need to process through visa on arrival and then get to my hotel in the city center of Ho Chi Minh by 6pm). Unless others out there have better options, I've gotten as creative as possible to come up with these two alternatives. Time constraint is obviously my number one concern, but also would like to keep things as cheap as possible as well. If anyone has experience with these airlines or traveling this area, your input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

1. Take Hong Kong Airlines from HKG to BKK 7:50am to 9:45am, then clear customs, collect my bags then re-check them for a VietJet flight from BKK to SGN 1:50pm to 3:20pm. This is the cheaper option, and I believe, as long as baggage doesnt get lost, that I have plenty of time to make the connection, but am concerned about whether I will be able to get my visa and make my way to the hotel in time (this will be a Thursday).

2. Take MTR Intercity Train from Hung Hom station in Hong Kong to Guangzhou East station, 725am to 924am, then make my way to the subway Line 3 station up to Airport South at the Guangzhou Airport for a 1230pm flight on China Southern. This is a little more expensive, and would require me to navigate the train system with a decent size piece of luggage (likely 26" four wheel roller), however, I beileve this is enough time to get from the train to the airport and once I get to the airport, the flight is direct so less chance of losing bag and it does arrive in Ho Chi Minh at 230pm giving me more time for customs, visa and transport to hotel.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight Advice! Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh...

Have you tried the air Travel forum ??

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Edited: 27 March 2014, 14:45
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,940 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight Advice! Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh...

Or ask in the Vietnam, hcmc, forum

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,677 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight Advice! Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh...

Yes, the Air Travel forum might be helpful, but it really won't be possible to find a flight that is both the 'best' and the cheapest. The 'best' with the shortest flight time and least risk of delayed baggage would be a non-stop flight, but the airlines know this and charge a premium for that. More complicated arrangements have various additional risks that you alleviate only by reserving more substantial amounts of time for the travel (often more than 24 hours).

http://matrix.itasoftware.com shows a non-stop Vietnam Airlines flight arriving early enough at HK$1671 some day in July. Is that really too expensive?

You have really painted yourself into a corner if you absolutely must arrive in Ho Chi Minh City before a specific time on a specific date. Even if some airline offers some (expensive) non-stop flight that SHOULD arrive early enough exactly on the needed date, this cannot be guaranteed. Technical problems might result in a delay of even 24 hours or more. What is your contingency plan if such a delay occurs? This problem is quite familiar to passengers who need to catch a cruise ship with late arrival not being an option.

Do you really have to catch that Vietnam tour, or could you do the trip by yourself to gain more flexibility? TripAdvisor forums provide plenty of advice and support for travelers who want to do it by themselves.

4. Re: Flight Advice! Hong Kong to Ho Chi Minh...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 06:16