We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japanese encephalitis for elephant hills?

Newcastle upon...
1 post
Save Topic
Japanese encephalitis for elephant hills?

We are traveling to Thailand in May for 16 days and told we need Hep A and Typhoid which we have had but my doctor also suggested Japanese encephalitis for our trip to Elephant Hills. My friends doctor advised we wouldn't need it. So we're confused. Any advice?

Also any suggestions on clothes? 2 nights in Bangkok, 2 nights elephant hills, 12 Phuket.

Many thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,767 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japanese encephalitis for elephant hills?

Japanese encephalitis is generally among recommended not required vaccinations. We visit Khao Sok National Park regularly, as well as other parts of Thailand and have never been advised that it is a must.

Clothes? Bangkok - lightweight blouses/shirts and skirts/trousers. Elephant Hills - lightweight trekking type tops (shirts with long sleeves which you can roll up) shorts/zip offs and trekking sandals. Use good Deet based repellent day and night to protect mainly against Dengue Fever (day time mossies) rather than mossies (evening and dusk) Plenty of water if you go on treks. Phuket - beachwear, t-shirts, blouses and shorts.Smart but casual if you go to more upscale restaurants.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japanese encephalitis for elephant hills?

agree with 'A', and JE was recommended ONLY if we visit Laos frequently, further than just Vientiane and long visits, since I live close, but we don't, and didn't get vaccination. 14 years and I've never head of an expat or local getting. it is recommended for the borders of Thailand, again, long exposure.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
4,587 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Japanese encephalitis for elephant hills?

when I say recommended, that was by local doc, knowing the situation in Thailand better than people never actually here.

Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Japanese encephalitis for elephant hills?

Arandora, I'm assuming you've never received the vaccination?

I'll be going to Khao Sok and/or Erawan National Park and am slightly worried. Have you heard anything about Erawan?

Also, does it matter that I'll be going to these parks in the rainy season?

Edited: 03 June 2014, 18:36
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,767 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Japanese encephalitis for elephant hills?

Hi James

No, neither myself or my wife have had a JE vaxccination and have never been advised that we need one for Khao Sok. Never been to the Erawan National park - yet! - but I'm sure you will get some helpful comments on the Kanchanaburi Forum. As far as Khao Sok is concerned some trails might be closed depending on the weather at the time. Again those who have been to Erewan will advise on that too.

6. Re: Japanese encephalitis for elephant hills?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 05:15