We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

Hello TA friends, hope you all well.

I would appreciate some advice on a trip I want to make in middle to end of June. As you may see I am no stranger to the Far East having spent many months travelling around. I have looked at the FAQ's, read the reports etc but thought id ask directly...more advice the better I say.

Basically we now have a nearly two at travel time daughter. I love asia and really want to introduce her to it aswel, for me there is no better place on earth. My dilemma is where, in Thailand, to visit. The time of year has made this a little more challenging as weather, expecting some rain but mostly sun, is important.

I am looking at Koh Samui, Koh Samet or Hua Hin area. As I said I have looked at lots of info on TA etc but you guys are who I respect most.

Which place would you recommend for the best weather (rain is fine but which would have the least), the place more suitable for a near two year old girl and a place that can offer some sights, day trips etc. I stayed on Koh Chang for a month or so and loved it!! Also, how does Bangkok fair up weather wise?? Went there in March and was very hot and dry. Would consider a stop there for few days too!

If you feel you can add anything constructive as usual I would be appreciative of your help. Feel free on hotel recommendations too, I like hotels close to some nightlife but nothing too wild...anymore anyway....hotels with ambiance, close to beach etc.

Thanks again, look forward to your views.

R

Italy
Level Contributor
39,510 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

Hi, in June it would be better weatherwise to head to the Gulf coast, so Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao, the Centara in Samui would be good as it's a family oriented hotel with kids pool. In June you'll probably get some thunderstorms in the evening with some rain in the afternoon in Bangkok.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

Hi

June weather wise Hau Hin will be drier than those islands in east coast( koh Tao, koh phangan and koh Samui).

If you like koh Chang i wouldn't recommended koh Samui for you. Koh Chang is koh Samui 15 years ago. I would suggest koh phangan instead ( might want to check if your travel time is not the same time as full moon party). If you want cultures and history as well as thighs to do Hau Hin might be what you're looking for.

Cheers,

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

Hi Chrella, Sweetpea

Thanks for the information, appreciate you taking time to respond!

I am really undecided but all advice is great. I have seen the centara so will look more into it. I loved Koh Chang but wouldnt mind Koh Samui at all, a little more life etc suits us occasionally....am trying to hang on to my travelling youth :-)

Any thoughts on Koh Samet?? I hear its not too bad in June. Its own micro climate apparently! The plus point to me is that im only on one flight from UK, easier with my little lady!

Thanks again both, happy travels!

Rich

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
59 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

I'd choose one of the islands. There isn't a lot to do in Hua Hin unless you want to spend time in the car, and the beach, although okay, isn't particularly nice.

With regards to Bangkok, stay somewhere along the Sukhumvit road so you're close to the BTS Skytrain and a permanent taxi supply (only get in if they agree to put the meter on though!), not Soi (streets) 5-11, as it's a bit seedy around there. There are lots of restaurants around, the Terminal 21 shopping centre which has a nice food court downstairs, and upstairs, as well as a nice cinema, a fair amount of nightlife - mostly on soi 11 - it's a good location to get about. :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

I would also pick Koh Samui, Koh Phangan or Koh Tao over Hua Hin.

In Bangkok I would vote for a riverside hotel close to a BTS station. Then you have river ferry and BTS.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

Aren't we all try to hang on our youth :)))

If you have more time you could do both koh Samui and koh phangan. There are boat/ferry operate daily between theses islands . The journey is 20-30 mins. June the sea are quite calm.

In terms of traveling koh Samui you will have convenience of flying direct to the island with either Thai ( 2 flights) Bangkok airways ( 12 flights daily). Koh samet you will need to traveling by car and ferry across could be tired some of little one.

If choose koh Samui apart from Centara grand beach resort in south chaweng beach ( great beach, great pool beautiful garden). The Centara grand are close to shops, restaurants etc.

also check out Imperial boathouse in cheongmon beach. The beach of cheongmon are flat and suits for little one to make a splash, quieter than south chaweng with enough restaurants to go around.

Cheers,

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
140 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

Hua Hin is deadly dull and lacks any discernible character, you're better off on an island, I agree Samui is the best one for when u want to come

8. Re: Hua Hin or one of the Koh's??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 07:16