We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boarder Visa

Woy Woy, Australia
Level Contributor
42 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Boarder Visa

Hi I am traveling overland by bus into Thailand from Cambodia on a New Zealand Passport and as I am staying 18 days not the 15 do I have to get an extended visa or just a tourist visa.or a VOA.I know that that there are new laws in place so please if anyone knows what you have to do now like what paper work and the cost is it in THB or US$.Thanks for anyones help.

Khon Kaen, Thailand
Level Contributor
394 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boarder Visa

You don't get visas at the border, but with a New Zealand passport you can enter on visa waiver. You will get 15 days and if you go to immigration they can choose to extend this for up to 7 days for the price of 1900 baht - and they usually do give these extensions. You could also just overstay and simply pay a penalty when you leave the country. I forget the price of this per day, but many people do it. However, it is a risky option because if you are caught overstaying by police before you get to a border or airport, you will get taken to jail. To avoid any of these hassles you could just apply for a tourist visa while in Cambodia. I've never done it, but odds are getting the tourist visa there will take longer than getting the extension at an immigration office in Bangkok, but it will only cost 1000 baht. Or, you could get a tourist visa before you arrive in SE Asia.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boarder Visa

As stated there is no VOA at the Cambo/Thai border.

If you have time apply for a tourist visa at the thai embassy in PP. Usually a 1 day turnaround. Go early in the morning and pickup the next day.

3. Re: Boarder Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 April 2015, 05:16