We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling around Thailand

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling around Thailand

Hi,

Will be in Thailand 25/12/14-17/01/15 and arriving in Bangkok.

There's lots I want to see in Bangkok but not sure I want my whole time here.

Sky scanner shows flights to Phuket, koh Sam etc am I better booking in uk?, are there nearer comparable resorts with postcard beaches?

Any recommendations for trains, buses etc

First time in Thailand so open to suggestions.

What is Christmas like in Thailand.

Many thanks :-)

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,119 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling around Thailand

You are travelling at the MOST expensive time of you.

The weather in Samui is not going to be as good as that in Phuket.

The flights are cheaper to Phuket, and best if booked well in advance.

You can use trains or buses but they are slower and cost about the same as an Air Asia ticket to Phuket.

Thailand is great fun at Christmas. Warm, sunny, things are open, no turkey!

Paphos, Cyprus
Destination Expert
for Paphos
Level Contributor
4,621 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling around Thailand

I'm sure you WON'T want to spend 3+ weeks in Bangkok. If you book flights now, you will get the lowest prices. Have a look at Air Asia, Thai Airlines, Nok, etc.and read past posts for more info. A good first visit itinerary that is often recommended on this site is - Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and a beach stay.You've certainly got time to cover 3 locations.

I have visited Thailand many times and always in December. I agree it's the most expensive time of year, but it's all relative and you will still find it inexpensive.

Happy planning!

Trisha

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling around Thailand

Hi, you need to do more research to see which places suit you but I definitely wouldn't stay the 3 weeks in Bangkok, the standard itinerary is Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai then down South to one of the beach resorts, the andaman coast will have the best weather in December.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,373 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling around Thailand

Spend some time in Bangkok and then head north to Chiang Mai & Chiang Rai from there hit some beaches on the West (Andaman) coast.

Its a great time of year to visit.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling around Thailand

Take a couple of days to check out Kanchanaburi from BKK before heading north to Chiang Mai.

Enjoy your trip

Regards,

6. Re: Traveling around Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 05:17