We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Thailand

Chicago, Illinois
11 posts
Save Topic
First time in Thailand

I'm looking for advice on where to stay in Thailand. My husband and I are hoping to visit for the first time in September. But we want to do some hoping around. We are flying in to Phuket and want to stay in Phuket for 2 nights but need to stay somewhere near the pier to take the ferry over to ko lanta where we will stay 3 nights and then move on to railay beach. Now everything is still in planning process so any advice on and feedback is really appreciated

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Thailand

Hi

If you have more time I would add Bangkok and Chaingmai in your itinery for cultures, history. Unless you're only interested in beach.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,949 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Thailand

With 2 nights in Phuket no need to stay near the pier, any taxi can take you there.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Thailand

Hi, as you are still in the planning stages I would check out the Gulf coast in September as it's the monsoon season in Phuket and the andaman coast, you could combine Koh Samui with Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,705 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Thailand

Hi

Phuket is a big island. You refer to pier, but what pier. The pier in Phuket Town? You don't really need to stay in Phuket town, as other than a few heritage buildings there is not much there. The airport is in the north west of the island, you could stay at one of the beaches along the west coast, and then catch a taxi to Phuket Town (on the east) to catch the ferry.

You don't say how long you are away for and you are already having a pretty rush itinerary. Have you thought about staying a bit longer in Phuket, see the sights there [and there are some lovely things there]; a bit longer in Koh Lanta, as it is a long journey there.

If you are not careful you will spend more time travelling, and less time relaxing or seeing.

How long are you away for?

Where do you need to get back to at the end of your holiday?

Bangkok is almost essential for a first time visitor as is Chiang Mai.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 08:14
5. Re: First time in Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:15