We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So many questions....... Any help greatly appreciated

london
Level Contributor
322 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
So many questions....... Any help greatly appreciated

Hi TA's

I am looking to book for next year, I have found some BA flights that would suit, I'm very tight on dates what with working in a school. The flights are direct to Bangkok, but that's it, this is where I need your help, knowledge and advice please.

So we arrive in Bangkok any suggestions where to stay ??

I'm looking for a relaxing beach holiday with a few days seeing and feeling the culture, love boat trips, and staying in beach huts. Like peace and quiet as well life and party when I want it, we are ages 46-53 two couples, but young at heart...... Or we like to think so !!

Would you suggest a couple of days in Bangkok then maybe flying or can you take a boat to other places. We all love the beach and beautiful beaches is what I'm looking for.

Elephants, tuk tuk, floating markets to name a few or any suggestions please.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks Dee :0)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,790 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So many questions....... Any help greatly appreciated

Three most important pieces of information needed:

1. When are you going? The weather for the beach part will depend on the season. For the West/Andaman Cost resorts (Phuket, Khao Lak, Krabi, Koh Lanta, Phi Phi) the Dry/High Season is November to April. For the East Coast/Gulf of Thailand (Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Ko Chang) it is June to September. Peak Season for both is Xmas/New Year.

2. How long in total? Popular combinations for two to three weeks to experience culture, sightseeing and beach (and, of course shopping!) is Bangkok 3/4 nights. Chiang Mai 3/4 nights, Beach the rest nights. Best and easiest way of travel is by air with various cheap options depending on destination. No sea transfers from Bangkok but there are ferry transfers if you are going to any of the islands but that depends on your answers to Q.1.

3. What is your budget for accommodation, both for Bangkok and Beach? Accommodation in Wet/Low Season is half sometimes less than that in High Season and you can still enjoy lots of heat, unlucky if you get no sun and potentially heavy rain, mostly in the afternoon.

When you have decided on destinations or want to know more about the various ones, perhaps after a little Googling or travel book searches, there is plenty of information on the individual forums that will help narrow down your many options.

london
Level Contributor
322 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: So many questions....... Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks for your reply,

I'm very tight with dates so it would be end of March for two weeks, basically the two weeks schools are closed for Easter, or there could a possibility of end of July beginning of August not sure of the weather at that time, but could do up to 3 weeks.

I'm going to do some more reading on prices for accommodation and internal flights etc. I was thinking around £1,500 pp budget for flights and accommodation, is that realistic for 2 weeks ??

Thanks Dee :0)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,790 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: So many questions....... Any help greatly appreciated

If it is Easter holiday break then Andaman Coast is best for weather. If Summer holidays then its Gulf of Thailand. Flights to the Gulf (Koh Samui) are more expensive than to Phuket but you can do a flight/ferry transfer from Bangkok to Samui with AirAsia or Nok Air. This obviously takes longer.

If you use Booking.com to obtain guide prices for accommodation in the destinations you are considering and compare with AsiaRooms.com, Asiahotels.com, Hotels2Thailand.com, HotelsCombined.com, Sawasdee.com then ask for information on ones you fancy on the destination forums. Use Skyscanner.net and Nok Air web site for flights.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,565 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So many questions....... Any help greatly appreciated

The March time of year is pretty nice on both the east and west. August is less risk of rain on Samui area.

We also use skyscanner for our flights, then book with the best deal for us. We use hotelscombined and the hotels to find the better hotels. We book all our internal flights ourselves.

You will struggle to find beach huts unless you head to somewhere like Phangan.

You can't take a boat from Bangkok, but you can fly to just about anywhere! Air Asia, Thai, Thai Smile, Bangkok Airways, Nok Airways, take your pick!

I'm a bit older than you and like busy, and parties, and fun, but others my age like it quieter. Perhaps Mr Mitch and I are still very young at heart!

Unless you go to somewhere like Chiang Mai, don't do elephants unless you don't give a fig about their welfare and care! Don't kid yourself you are helping, you are only helping the man make money. Go to a sanctuary, and there are none on Phuket or Samui

As suggested there is just so much to pick from!!

5. Re: So many questions....... Any help greatly appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 06:16