We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 day trip to Thailand - Bangkok>???

Newcastle upon...
1 post
Save Topic
10 day trip to Thailand - Bangkok>???

Hi guys,

Me and my girlfriend are looking to head to Thailand for 10-11 days in early-mid October. It would be 3-4 days for a bit of exploring in and around Bangkok, and then 6-7 days somewhere else for a nice relax!

We'd be flying from Newcastle to Bangkok (via Dubai) and hope to do 3-4 days there exploring. I want to visit a couple of markets/floating markets and sample some (lots) of the street fooD. What else should we add to the to-do list?! We were thinking of maybe a day trip up North to Ayutthaya or one of the other National parks?

After that we really don't know?? We should have 6-7 days left and have been told Phuket is a good option? We are open to anywhere else, but would prefer to have access to the coast from wherever we set our base. We'd be looking to do a couple of activities in between resting up; perhaps visit a temple, animal sanctuary or island hop?

Sorry, I know that's vague(!) but any help would be massively appreciated! We're not on a shoestring but at the same time, we don't have thousands of pounds to throw about! If we could have a nice hotel to stay in for the last 6-7 days that'd be great.

Thanks for any help guys, this seems to be the place to ask these questions!

Jamie

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,935 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 day trip to Thailand - Bangkok>???

October is the wettest time of year in Thailand, so you can expect rain at some point. Phuket is at the tail end of monsoon season, it won't rain all the time, but it's usually short heavy showers followed by sun, but the seas can still be very rough at that time of year and swimming is dangerous and sea tours can be cancelled. Hua Hin tends to be one of the drier areas during October and is a more traditional Thai tourist town, although caters very well to western tourists too, but it doesn't have the nice beaches and variety of shopping and night life that say Phuket would have.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 day trip to Thailand - Bangkok>???

Hi

6-7 days left if you're prefers beach then perhaps Krabi( koh phi, koh Lanta and mainland) or Phuket. Both destinations are easy access from Bangkok with short flight which should help minimize your travel time.

If you're not big on beach then I think either Chiangrai, Chaingmai or both should fit in with timing. Again easy access with short flight from Bangkok.

Read FAQs on all forums mentions and see which take your fancy.

Cheers,

Ko Pha Ngan...
Level Contributor
80 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 day trip to Thailand - Bangkok>???

Mid october is rainy most of the time everywhere in Thailand. I think you might have better luck with the weather up north (Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai,...) than on the islands in the south. You could also consider a side trip to the beautiful Angkor Wat temples in Siem Ream, Cambodia!

Potomac, Maryland
Level Contributor
106 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 day trip to Thailand - Bangkok>???

All the suggestions are good and you should be able to prepare a plan based on your liking and the information provided by others here. Specifically, you may consider a plan something like:

Day 1: Arrival (I am assuming in the evening or night from Europe), overnight in Bangkok

Day 2: Sight seeing in Bangkok - Royal Palace and temples, Wat Arun (by boat), Floating Market; a Thai cultural show in the evening; visit a few clubs at night if you like, etc.

Day 3: Visit Ayuthaya - go by boat, returning by car or vice versa -- a full day affair; go to a Thai seafood restaurant at night -- a unique experience.

Day 4: Go to the site of the famous "Bridge on the River Qwai", visit an elephant training school, etc.

Days 5, 6: Krabi/Koh Phi Phi/Phuket

Days 7, 8: Chiang Mail

Days 9, 10: Pattaya

Day 11: Back to Bangkok

Above will be a bit hectic, so you can drop one of the beach places or squeeze one day out at the beginning.

Obviously, it is one of the numerous different itineraries that one can come up with, but this allows you to experience both the famous beaches and the hilly north, and a historic site, along with other touristy stuff.

Regarding hotels, Bangkok has a wide range of choice and generally for $100-$120 you will get a good and decent hotel, while a modest but ok can be available at even $50-$60 range. $150+ will get you a real good hotel. Enjoy the trip!

5. Re: 10 day trip to Thailand - Bangkok>???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2015, 05:16