We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in bangkok, khao San or sukumvit?

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
148 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
5 days in bangkok, khao San or sukumvit?

I have 3 days at the beginning of my trip and 2 days at the end. Originally booked Baan Sukhumvit 18 the first 3 days, and looking for a hotel the last 2 days. However, I'm thinking of staying around the khao San area first since it's close to the attractions that we are interested, then sukumvit for the remaining last 2 days. Can't make up my mind, as my uncle is on sukhumvit 23/ young place, and he wants us close by to visit. It doesn't make sense to stay at khao San the last 2 days..

Option 1- khao San first 3 nights, then sukumvit 2 nights at end

Option 2- sukhumvit, all 5 nights. Take the bts to Siam, transfer to silom bts, to river

Btw, we are a family of 3. My hub is mid 40's, I'm mid 30's. Our son is 14 (Does not want to go) single child

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
148 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days in bangkok, khao San or sukumvit?

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,152 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days in bangkok, khao San or sukumvit?

Option 2 for me. But its a personal thing.

I prefer Sukhumvit to KSR and like staying near the BTS. You will also enjoy the boat from Central pier/Saphan Taksin BTS to the Grand Palace etc.

And the moping kid should love Bangkok when he arrives. Take him for a walk down soi coyboy, he will have plenty to tell his friends when he gets back home.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 19:04
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days in bangkok, khao San or sukumvit?

As a husband in his mid 40s, with a wife in her late 30s, and a son slightly younger than yours, KSR does nothing for me. It is primarily a younger crowd, with alot of backpackers. Not bad people by any stretch, but also not really my crowd either. KSR is slightly more convenient to many attractions, but Sukhumvit is not really inconvenient. Sukhumvit offers a better selection of things to do in the evening, in my opinion. Sukhumvit offers a true cross section of food options. If your son gets tired of Thai food or just doesn't take to it (it happens), you will have more options on Sukhumvit.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days in bangkok, khao San or sukumvit?

Banglamphu area and KSR every time over the claustrophobic, skyscraper "shining path"

Is there an Option 3, of 5 nights Banglamphu KSR? lol . This area is also close to the river where most of the cities temples and attractions are

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,121 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days in bangkok, khao San or sukumvit?

Hi,

My preference is Sukhumvit too. However, Saphan Taksin is not a long journey away by Skytrain. If you are interested in shopping Sukhumvit is the place to be.

6. Re: 5 days in bangkok, khao San or sukumvit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 07:16