We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How To Choose An Island Or Beach Resort

Boston, MA, USA
Level Contributor
641 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
How To Choose An Island Or Beach Resort

My husband and. I will be in Thailand for the month of March 2015......we will spend about 2 weeks up north and then two weeks relaxing on a beach......we are both in our late 60s......we would like a bungalow on the beach........we are not night people ...we like to have a small dinner, read and go to sleep...not party animals...we do not need a lot of restaurants around.......nor do we need shops other than some type of supermarket...we want a long quiet beach to walk on,sit on and relax.......do not want SANDFLIES bothering us......last year we did the Maldives and Sri Lanka....budget is not as important as getting it right.....no high rise buildings around......any and all help would be greatly appreciated

Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
297 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How To Choose An Island Or Beach Resort

It's a rather vague request you have, but here goes my opinion for Phuket.

For starters, I think you should forget about 'a bungalow on the beach'. It's a romantic ideal which, in this day and age, rarely exists in Phuket. You'll find it hard to find a landlord renting for a short period of time, and when they do, the prices will be horrendous. Much better in finding yourself a suitable hotel or resort for your needs.

In Phuket, I'd suggest you take a look around the Cape Panwa area or up north around Mai Khao. Somewhere with a little bit more life, restaurants etc would be the Rawai and nai harn area. Avoid anything in the mid-west coast of Phuket.

Lots of other places, but that's my feelings on this island.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,761 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How To Choose An Island Or Beach Resort

Since you are not asking about Phuket specifically, consider Khao Lak which is just an hour north from Phuket Airport, is essentially a beach resort, having over 25kms of glorious ones, accommodation of different types, including beach bungalows, to suit all budgets, restaurants with Thai (of course) and international cuisines, to suit all tastes.

Have a look here at:

* photos of the various beaches taken between the end of November last year and March this tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297914-i10908-k…

* a comprehensive list of accommodation in Khao Lak www.seadragondivecenter.com/accommodation.htm

* a link to a bungalow resort on White Sand Beach, once Khao Lak's best kept secret, now a very popular day trip but after they have gone a magical place to have dinner at one of the three restaurants there, watch a glorious sunset, then fireflies flitting above you in the casuarina trees, the stars twinkling in the sky and the lights of the fishing boats winking on the horizon http://aothongbeach.com/

Plenty of information on Khao Lak on the forum at tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g297914-i10908-K…

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,718 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How To Choose An Island Or Beach Resort

Why Phuket . . .? Personally I would look at Koh Chang or think about the west coast of Koh Phangan (avoid the south east). Relaxing and just what you are looking for!

Edited: 19 May 2014, 20:53
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How To Choose An Island Or Beach Resort

Koh Chang would be my choice as well, perfect climate in March.

5. Re: How To Choose An Island Or Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2015, 11:21