We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

Was thinking of driving my family from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi early July 2014. Can't seem to find car rental in Chumpon. Any ideas? We will be coming from Koh Tao by ferry and then hoping to get a car and stop on the way at Phetchaburi and Tha Ka floating market. Is this worth doing or is it just much easier to get a train via Nakhom Pathom to Kanchanaburi?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,159 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

Hi,

Unable to help with regard to car rental. However, should you take the train there is no need to travel as far as Nakhom Pathom. Instead, get off at Ban Pong and travel to Kanchanaburi by bus which takes about an hour.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,865 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

For car hire you would need outfits that do one way drop offs which are mainly the big international franchises, Budget (which we use), Hertz and Avis. Their rates are higher than local outfits because of this but also, in Budget's case, the rate is fully inclusive of First Class Insurance and no excess so need to pay the CDW that is additional to other rates where excess is 10,000 or 5,000 baht. I you haven't already please read the Traveller Article about Driving Licence Requirements at tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

Thanks for that tip - will definitely do that if we decide to train it.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

Thanks will get in touch with Budget and yes i had read that article - not too dissimilar to driving in parts of South AFrica.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

You might be better off going to Surat Thani as there's a Budget at the airport there I think - not sure if there is a hire place at Chumphon.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

thanks I know I saw that but feels like we're backtracking if we go back to Surat Thani. Will have to give it all a bit of thought. Thanks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

Sure neither Budget or Avis have anywhere in Chumpnon, nearest would be Surat Thani or Hua Hin.

You could get a car+driver to meet you off the ferry in Chumphon and best for that would probably be contacting people in Hua Hin, but I would suggest taking the Lomprayah ferry + bus to Hua Hin and then get a car+driver from there, unless you wanted to go to areas between Chumphon and Hua hin such as Ban Krut or Prachuap Khiri Khan Town.

I would go with using Lomprayah to Hua Hin, spend the night there and then have a car+driver to take you to Kanchanaburi stopping as you desire on the way there

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

Yes, I was going to suggest getting to Hua Hin too, as there would be plenty of car hire then, at least then not backtracking.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,865 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

Budget will drop car off at places other than where they have an office. That's what they do with us.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,934 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Chumpon to Kanchanaburi

Concur with Arandora, Budget came and picked the car up from us on Samui last year at the ferry pier.