We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/Suitcase vs. Backpacking/Hostel

Baltimore
Level Contributor
79 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel/Suitcase vs. Backpacking/Hostel

Spending 3 weeks in Southeast Asia and planning on only staying in a certain city/location for 3-4 days at a time.

Wondering which of the choices would be better in the subject line OR if budget is not a concern, do the amenities of a hotel and the flexibility of a backpack make sense?

My main concern is dragging a large suitcase between destinations and if it is more practical to just backpack it or bring a small suitcase.

I can add additional info if you need it and thanks!

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel/Suitcase vs. Backpacking/Hostel

There is no reason why you can't use a backpack and stay at a hotel. There is no luggage dress code ;-)

There are also convertible bags, that work great as wheeled luggage, but also have built in shoulder straps when you need to carry it due to rough surfaces or stairs and such.

If budget is not an issue, I would go for hotels over hostels, simply for the privacy of having your own bathroom and bedroom, rather than sharing with a bunch of strangers. Some folks like the social interaction aspect forced on you at a hostel, but you can easily meet fellow travelers hanging out at the pool of a hotel as well.

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
832 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel/Suitcase vs. Backpacking/Hostel

We did

BKK - 3 days

Khao Sok - 3 days

Khao Lak - 5 days

Muscat - 1 night

Desert Camp - 1 night

Muscat - 2 nights ..

then back to London.

2 - adults 3 kids and we had 2 large cases, 3 small wheel ons and a couple of hand luggage bits (including eukele!!) Hotels def worked for us - but I did have to think about planing our trip and did day excursions to the Lake rather than try to get to and stay on a raft house - which I would have liked.

You have a long trip from home, and are covering quite some ground in a relatively short period of time- if this trip is designed as a holiday - go for the hotels.

Taxis are cheap (compared to home rather than local public transport) and certainly as a family group we were happy to use taxis to ease travelling with bags.

Edited: 05 June 2014, 23:10
3. Re: Hotel/Suitcase vs. Backpacking/Hostel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 07:15