We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

I've been to several countries, but the Taxi drivers (tuktuk included) are the worse. They take advantage of you. They rarely use their meter unless you insist persistently. They bargain with you and they will definitely quote you more than double of what the fare will be by meter. They even tell you it's traffic when it's not. They also try to take you to a store to shop.

You better know or make it your business to know how much it will cost or you'll get ripped off.

This is bad tourism in light of recent political unrest in the country. This is a total turn-off. This country will definitely be out of my bucket list of places to visit again.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,102 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

So your experience of taxis in Bangkok means that ALL of Thailand is off your future "bucket list of places to visit?" Did you consider or try the other forms of transport that area available? What did you actually think of the places you visited when your taxi actually got ou there? Any positives at all from a first time poster?

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,523 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

Taxis in Bangkok can be one big pain in the a** but its much easier to get around by MTR, BTS and River ferris anyway. I only ever use them to get from and to the airport.

I would not let Taxis ruin my holiday or right off a whole country because of them.

Australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Before getting in the cab make sure they agree to use the meter, if not move on to the next cab. I have had very few problems with Bangkok cab drivers and on the whole feel they do a good job.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

This is not my first visit to Bangkok. In fact, the taxi drivers on my first visit a few years back were okay. It was this last visit that really takes the cup. I mean their attitude change from good to worse. The day started as being excited to get to your destination but the taxi driver's attitude really put a damper on your excitement. And the impression did not improve the next time we got a taxi ride. It was the same with the tuktuk or van at Pattaya. They take advantage of tourist. And on my departure, I have to take a taxi to the airport. Guess what, the last impression of Thailand for me is the taxi driver who keeps muttering and complaining because I insist on getting a metered ride. And when we reached the airport, he did not even helped a small lady get her luggage out of the back compartment. He just watched me keep pulling my luggage out. Now that's what I call bad tourism. Thailand will definitely be off or at the bottom of my bucket list.

5. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 June 2014, 12:35
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

Okay so our bad experience could be because those bad drivers see two small asian girls and thought we're easy to take advantage of

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,881 posts
1,618 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

@vrichmond welcome to travel in Asia. I have experienced this in KL Malaysia, Thailand and yes even in the Philippines.

Can easily be discouraged by getting out of the taxi and getting another. if the meter isnt used. Mind you Tuk Tuks dont have a meter. Best not to get taxis waiting at tourist sights such as the Grand Palace and getting one that is passing by as thoses waiting MAY be preying on vulnerable tourists.

Tommo

Edited: 10 June 2014, 11:20
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. I think anywhere around the world you travel there will be the possibility of getting ripped off by local taxi drivers. It is unfortunate but part of traveling. I can bearly think of anywhere I have been to where that has not happened. On a relative scale though taxi cabs in Bangkok aren't THAT bad. There are those that do prey at tourists and tends to be the ones that park outside major tourist sites. So avoid those and hail the cabs that are passing by and just dropped off a passenger. If a cab you get into the driver appears to have an attitude then get on another one. If an experience with a cab driver really gets under your skin then by all means, jot down the name and car registration and report it to the taxi alert number (it really does work).

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
6 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

Hi all, thanks for the comments and replies, they really give me a new outlook seeing it through the perspective of other people

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,881 posts
1,618 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bangkok taxi are the Worse taxi service in my travels

@ vrichmond great that the forum was helpful.

I agree with Dodger. I avoid taxis also, use recommended drivers on the forum for airport transfers (Rat) and use the BTS where possible as you avoid traffic and potential overcharging by taxi drivers. I only use Tuk Tuks for novelty value. Last time about 2 years ago so the kids could enjoy the experience and they loved it.

May see you in Manila sometime ;-)

Enjoy your travels.

Tommo