We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reliable weather info for different areas of Thailand

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Reliable weather info for different areas of Thailand

Hi guys,

I have spent ages looking through threads, FAQs and googling weather information, however I find that I am finding wildly varying information regarding rainfall/monsoon months in different areas of Thailand. I see a lot of advice just to risk travelling in monsoon time but I am not happy to do this. Rain doesn't make me happy and I don't want to travel half way round the world to get rained on :(

Can anyone direct me to a reliable website that indicates the average monthly rainfall in different areas for Thailand?

We are trying to plan a return trip but this time we are stuck into travelling in November. We have never visited in November, we usually aim for the start of low season (west coast) or June (Samui).

We completely understand that even though it's 'rainy season' we might be really lucky and only get short, sharp showers, but I really don't want to go somewhere that's in monsoon season.

We are deciding between Phuket, Krabi, Koh Lanta, Hua Hin or Samui. I am of the understanding that Samui will be wet, but I am having sticker shock at the high season prices for Phuket unfortunately.

Thanks in advance, I appreciate any help!

Cheers,

Steph

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reliable weather info for different areas of Thailand

Hi steph

Check it out http://www.tmd.go.th/en/

And this http://www.travelfish.org/weather/thailand

Cheers,

Edited: 18 June 2014, 11:21
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,924 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reliable weather info for different areas of Thailand

The monsoon season on the West (Andaman Coast) which covers Phuket, Khao Lak, Krabi, Ko Lanta, Phi Phi and south down to Trang as you know is from May to October, so November is "usually" mainly dry and sunny with left over showers on some days. However, no historical averages are accurate these days as a predictor for the future as weather patterns world-wide are changing. However, if you do want to look at averages from the past over an destination in Thailand have a look at this link in addition to the ones above weather-and-climate.info/average-monthly-Rai…

Certainly for Khao Lak where we spend November to April they are historically accurate but having experienced the longest hottest and driest January to March for over 25 years with bush fires breaking out by the beaches I don't expect that to be repeated nor necessarily the superb weather that "usually" greets us in November.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,125 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reliable weather info for different areas of Thailand

Thanks so much Pea and Arandora. I guess I have a few options. I am looking for the hottest, driest, cheapest place lol! If only hey hahaha!

We are attracted to Hua Hin as we don't need to take a flight, thus reducing costs, but I am still so undecided.

4. Re: Reliable weather info for different areas of Thailand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:17