We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day overstay!

Rome, Italy
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1 day overstay!

Hello fellow travellers!

I'm off for 31 one days to Thailand in July and I didn't want to get the 60 days visa and just pay the 1 day overstay fine. What are the consequences?

I'm also travelling to Vietnam and my flight back to Rome is in Bangkok, so I'll fly back to the capital. Hope I won't get any problems.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,437 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day overstay!

If you want to make sure of having no problems, simply follow the rules and apply for a visa. Or leave the country at one of the borders and return to Thailand with 15 more days available.

Or hope that Thailand will continue the current way of not charging for one day overstay and 500THB for every additional day, up to 10days. Formally you are still breaking a law, even though many people do it and pay since a long time.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
8,817 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day overstay!

"I didn't want to get the 60 days visa and just pay the 1 day overstay fine"

Why would you DELIBERATELY set out to break the law?

Edited: 30 June 2014, 19:37
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,338 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day overstay!

If your return flight from Bangkok is not within 30 days of your entry on a visa exemption you may not even get the opportunity of applying for an overstay at the end of those 30 days. Unless you also have a flight out of Thailand to wherever you are going next Airlines are required to check that those entering on a 30 day visa exemption have an onward flight within those 30 days. If not, you may not be allowed on your flight into Thailand in the first place! Whether it is 1 day or 30 days over a visa exemption to enter Thailand legally you need a visa. Getting a Visitors 60 day Visa avoids all these problems and risk.

Should you decide to avoid this advice, you should be aware that granting of a visa overstay extension is not automatic, it is at the discretion of the Immigration Officer at the time. If you are denied that extension you may find that you have to get and pay for the next flight home - and there goes the rest of your holiday!!!

A 60 day Visitor Visa costs about 30 Euro. Compare that cost to what you stand to lose. No brainer, as they say.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,834 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day overstay!

I'm pleased I'm not the only one who feels the OP's intentions are disrespectful.

if you can't be bothered to pay for the 60 day visa, leave within 30 days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day overstay!

Without proof you are leaving Thailand within 30 days you can be refused boarding. This rule is in place to stop people like you.

Rome, Italy
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 1 day overstay!

Oook thank you very much, even if some of you didn't answer nicely my proposal.

So thank you Arandora and cookie and I'd like to say something to the rest of the posters.

YES, my intention was to break the law. NO, this does not make me a criminal. I would like to ask you the consequences of my one and only day in overstay in thai territories, what exactly would the government stop me from doing? One day extra makes me dangerous? Rules exist and must be respected, but if breaking one does not cause any damage you can't be treated like a crook. Thanks.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,338 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1 day overstay!

Shaun

Deliberately staying in any country without a visa is a criminal act. You can pretend otherwise but that is an undeniable fact!

I thought that I had spelled out the consequences of you overstaying, doing it deliberately is illegal and reckless and there is no excuse to say that it will harm no-one. How do you know that? Assuming that you have travel insurance, that insurance is based on the assumption that you are travelling legally. Suppose on your overstay you have an accident and, ignoring you as you don't seem to care about the consequences I already spelled out, an innocent 3rd party is injured because of you. Both you and they will not be covered by your insurance.

At the moment the Thai authorities are taking action to stop people entering Thailand on a 30 Day Exemption from abusing the system. That is exactly what you are doing just to save a few Euros!

I will repeat the consequences from my first post:

"Should you decide to avoid this advice, you should be aware that granting of a visa overstay extension is not automatic, it is at the discretion of the Immigration Officer at the time. If you are denied that extension you may find that you have to get and pay for the next flight home - and there goes the rest of your holiday!!!

A 60 day Visitor Visa costs about 30 Euro. Compare that cost to what you stand to lose. No brainer, as they say."

However, given that you don't appear to be prepared to take this advice I Think it is likely that you may not even be allowed to board your flight to Thailand anyway without proof of an onward flight from Thailand within 30 days. Even if you do have a flight but it is 31 days you could be denied boarding on that basis.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,375 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 1 day overstay!

Thailand does not impose a fine or legal actions for a one day overstay. But that does not guarantee you that the airline will let you board your flight to Thailand.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,338 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1 day overstay!

With respect la0wei there is a difference between "does not" and "cannot". An overstay is technically an overstay whether 1 or 100 days. "Usually" no action is taken because people have accidentally overstayed or been delayed but otherwise have met their original 30 day visa exemption period or whatever duration on their visa. With the current crackdown on visa runs, changes in visa application procedures etc. there is no guarantee that whatever discretion has been used in the past will be used in the future.

As long as Shaun P understands the possible consequences no-one on this forum can prevent him abusing the privileges which correct use of visa requirements affords honest visitors. Whatever he calls it what he is planning to do is dishonest.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 07:52
London, United...
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1 day overstay!

'YES, my intention was to break the law. NO, this does not make me a criminal.'

ROFL