We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

Mogo, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

Hi I am going to Thailand in a few weeks basically my 25 year marriage is over and I just need to get away and re evaluate my life, I will probably go for a month I have only booked one way. My head is pretty much reeling at the moment and cant really concentrate or even know what I want to do. I do know I want to stay in Chiang Mai, Bangkok and some islands, I have money but don't want to waste it on accommodation so want really budget but not dorms. Would really appreciate some suggestions on accommodation I don't really want to be with partying teenagers lol

Also any suggestion on things I should do given my circumstances. Thank you.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

Try air bnb for accommodation

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

Hi

I'm not quiet sure if you airlines will allowed you board the plane to Thailand if you nave one way ticket. If that's what you mean by one way.

If you have one month and not sure what to do or can't think straight best to book a tickets, a couple of nights in Bangkok. One there you can take it slowly and see what take you fancy. Thailand is easy to get around. There are buses, trains, planes both full service and low cost airlines to choose from. Perhaps after Bangkok go to Chiangmai or island ( depends on time of year, east and west coast have different weather ) for a slower pace.

Thailand have vast of all types of accommodations high end and budget right down to dorm. Have a look here for some ideas www.sawadee.com/ this website is Thai reputable web agent. Take a short list and com back for more questions.

Given your circumstance don't tell every one you meet. Here is ok as no one knows how you're or what's you look like but in the real world many ( locals and tourists alike, strangers always strangers no matter locals or not locals ) will target venerable people. Use commonsense as you would do at home.

Mogo, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

Hi Sweetpea thanks for the info, don't worry I wont be wondering around telling everyone my woes lol, I am a very street smart person, I just don't want to waste my time there looking for accommodation all the time. Have been doing a bit of research and ko chang looks like it might be a nice island to stay for a bit. I have been to Bangkok before not sure if I want to spend a great deal of time there, I was mainly in the city last time, might stay near the Riverside this time. Yes I will have to look at the tickets if I can just book one way I don't want to lock myself into anything.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

For riverside have a look at Chartirum riverside if look for cheaper place there's ibis riverside, bossotel. Click not the links on my first post of more choices.

Koh Chang is definitely beautiful, quiet, less tourist and less developed very laid back easy access from Bangkok. You can go by planes bus, van or private car with ferry. If you want convenient contact Ian www.iamkohchang.com he has both shares minivan and private car service. Ian can also help you out with accommodations on the island. We really like his guesthouse called " Baan rim nam". The guesthouse is right on the river bank where you can kayak to beach.

The car or van will take you all the way to hotel in koh Chang. Land + ferry take approximately 5 hours. Koh Chang still have beach type huts which you don't see on the popular islands the like of koh Samui etc.

from koh Chang you can visit or splits with kood and koh Mak.

Hope this help

Chicago
Level Contributor
5,165 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

Bangkok is a great place to start. There are lots of inexpensive hotels in good locations around the city. Bangkok has lots to offer in terms of sights & places to visit. It's a busy city, which provides a good distraction. And your options are endless travelling solo in Thailand - it's both easy & fun. If you'd like to stay in Southern Thailand, start in Phuket (Patong Beach) for the busyness & amazing beaches, then veer to Kata Beach for the beauty, fabulous beach, & solitude.

Chiang Mai is laid back, unlike Bangkok. You can take a tour of the elephant reserve in Northern Thailand where Hill Tribes live and care for the elephants. You can also sign up for a cooking class or two, even get very good, inexpensive dental care in Chiang Mai. Thailand is a very good choice to take time off and take care of yourself - in whatever form that takes. Wish you the best during these hard times!

Mogo, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

Thanks for the reply sweetpea will definitely be checking your info out the island and guesthouse sounds perfect for me :)

Mogo, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

Thank you Globe2 will definitely be getting dental work done I need a root canal and crown, had already researched this and yes will be doing that in chain mai as I will probably be there longer than Bangkok. Kata beach also sounds very nice will check that out, I am definitely not looking for full on partying but I don't want too much solitude either would be nice to meet some new people have a few drinks and laughs.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,723 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

Hi

this is a off topic but there is an older british film that might be good for you to watch .

Shirley Valentine she runs off to Greece to find herself.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
3,684 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

I think getting away will be very good for your soul :)

If you post on the individual forums of the places you are travelling I am sure you will get some good suggestions of accommodation. I know that in Chiang Mai they have lovely guesthouses that are inexpensive. On the Chiang Mai forum there are Trip Reports in the FAQ section on the right side of the page. Have a look at Susan D's and Skeezixvancouver's in particular as they are mature women who travelled solo and their reports were amazing with their detail. I am sure that you will find a huge amount of information from them.

I second checking out Sawasdee for places to stay in your budget, you will then be able to check out reviews and also make a short list to come back with.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.

Mullingar, Ireland
Level Contributor
42 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 52 year female Travelling solo not sure where to start

It really depends on your budget, Hotels in Thailand can be a lot cheaper than other places so it's worth spending money on them as the cost of living there is quite cheap so I tend to go for a good room with aircon, safe, good location and comfortable, I just think it's money well spent, a bad hotel can ruin your trip. In Bangkok consider staying around the Silom/Riverside area, Sukhumvit is more lively for nightlife but the touristy stuff is mainly around Silom. I've found booking.com the easiest website as most hotels won't charge till you get close to your arrival date.

A quick search for the last week of July has lots of nice 3 & 4 * hotels for around 30 euro(1200 baht) a night. Once you're near the BTS you've easy access to lots of Bangkok.

Edited: 01 July 2014, 09:51