We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand, Malaysia or Vietnam?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
149 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand, Malaysia or Vietnam?

Hi there, I'm 18 years old and am planning on going on an overseas exchange with AIESEC https://www.aiesec.org/ Obviously the country I choose will depend upon the project I decide on but I just wanted to know what you would think someone my age would enjoy the most. Things to take into account are costs including the all important food. language - do people speak English, safety - Is there the risk of terrorism or crime, amazing destinations, the friendliness and hospitality of the people. I want to be inspired by the people, amazed by the destinations and just overall have an amazing time. Outside of the programme (I.e during weekends) sometimes I would be travelling on my own so transport and infrastructure are also an important factor but I'm aware that a lot of these places are third world nations and I'm sure I will adjust to the cultural shock. Sorry if this seems like a lot to answer but any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand, Malaysia or Vietnam?

You would probably feel most "comfortable" in Thailand - many people speak at least some English, food is cheap, infrastructure is good for a south east asian country.

Malaysia.... probably a bit similar (with more expensive accommodation) but I tend to enjoy Thailand as a destination more.

Vietnam... still developing as a tourist destination, the language barrier can be more of a problem, a fair bit of culture shock especially with certain meats served in restaurants, petty crime seems to be reported more commonly (but this can happen anywhere, you should be on your toes and not be too trusting wherever you are).... Infrastructure needs attention... Food and accommodation are cheap though.

Now you might feel I'm pushing Thailand as the place you should choose, but this is not necessarily so. It depends how challenged you want to feel & how far out of your comfort zone you're prepared to go. There are plenty of people who do volunteer work in Thailand and there are needy people everywhere. Vietnam is still a poor country, damaged by war and with a lot of needy people. If you keep your wits about you and do plenty of research it can be more fulfilling going somewhere like that. There are a lot of places with beautiful scenery both there and Thailand, and I wish you luck in your final decision!

Toronto Canada
Level Contributor
87 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand, Malaysia or Vietnam?

I would avoid Malaysia as its getting dangerous. Petty crime is bad plus the whole Muslim fundamentalist thing is starting to heat up. Thailand is the best bet I would say but if you are going to Ho Chi Min then that's not bad. Avoid Hanoi

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand, Malaysia or Vietnam?

The above posting is pure bollocks. I have been to Malaysia and have worked in Malaysia. For an English speaker, Malaysia will be the easiest of the 3 to communicate. Most will speak English and Melayu is ready to learn. Great food as well.

My experience have been mainly positive.

4. Re: Thailand, Malaysia or Vietnam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2015, 05:16