We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

New York
4 posts
Save Topic
Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Hi,

We want to travel to Thailand during the last week of September and the first 3 weeks of October (25.09 until 20.10). A family with 4 kids, want to explore the North, visit Bangkok and central Thailand and rest in the Islands (Koh-Samui etc.).

We heard and read many bad things about the weather in Thailand during October and that it is the worst time to visit there due to heavy rains in the North and in Ko-Samui.

We are afraid to buy expensive flight ticket to Bangkok and find ourselves staying most of the time in the room because of the bad weather…

I would appreciate your advice, preferably from people who travel there in October or live there..

Thanks!

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,976 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Hi

I have had good weather in all months. I have been in Hua Hin in Sept great weather Krabi and Phuket end of Oct great weather it doesn't rain all day long and it is not a cold hard rain usually when it rains it only last an hour or so. don't let the weather put you off

thailand is a big country there is always good weather some where.

Where I am it is rainy season we are getting rain 5 out of 7 days but I have only had to walk to school 3 times in the rain it seems the rains come at about noon for an hour then again in evening or late at night.

only 1 day so far where it rained all day and night.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Tourists visit every month of the year. Usually the rain will stop in a couple hours. Some areas no rain at all. It would be very rare to have rain fall every hour of the day. Different areas different amounts of rainfall.

I have used this weather link for years.

guidetothailand.com/thailand-travel-informat…

Do a forum search for more posts concerning September - October rainfall. Plant life looks a little more alive during the rainy season.

(Just moving parents and 4 kids could be a little inconvenient at times with or without rain.)

December and January will cost more for plane tickets and for hotel rooms and you have a big group.

Sunderland
Destination Expert
for Koh Tao
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Hi

We've visited Thailand in October a few years back, beautiful weather in Hua Hin, overcast with a slight shower in Koh Tao, showers in Kanchanaburi but hot and sunny in between and dry and sunny in Bangkok. Returning this October to Chiang Mai for 3 weeks. We're expecting rain but it won't stop us from doing most things and doesn't normally last all that long anyway and it's still lovely and warm.

Good luck with your decision. Safe and happy travels

New York
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Thank you for your detailed answers!

Are there better areas to travel in October and area that it is prefer not to include due to heavy rains and bad weather?

Edited: 07 August 2014, 15:08
Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Krabi is good for Oct. Cheap hotels and tours. Nov is start of high season. Just avoid Samui.

See Air Asia and Nok for flights.

Trang is a nice Thai city with good food and excellent snorkelling tour.

Ko Hong is a great day trip.

Emerald cave on Ko Muk.

I always go low season. Uncrowded beaches and cheap prices.

August is the wettest month.

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
15,238 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Don't skip Bangkok - rain or shine!

New York
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Thank you!

KhongChiam - Why avoid Hoh-Samui? Because of the heavy rain?

Infidelal - If we go, We will no skip Bangkok.

Thanks

Pattaya, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Pattaya, Ho Chi Minh City
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Rain is normally late afternoon and down pour for a lil bit then 30 min later you would be hard pressed finding evidence it rained.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,081 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

Hi, we have been to Phuket in Oct and the weather was terrific. We are going again this Oct and even if it rains it usually is a quick down pour and then the sun comes out. Of all our trips to Phuket we have had 1 full day of rain, great excuse to have a pedicure, massage and of course we all continued to shop.

Viv

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai
Level Contributor
10,049 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family trip to Thailand in October - Yes or No?

We've been twice in September October in the past few years and had lots of rain in Krabi both times. As you move into mid to later October the weather gets better. Delay until mid October if possible. We had good weather late September in Chiang Mai. Just a bit overcast.

Caroline.