We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia connecting flight time

Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Air Asia connecting flight time

Hi, flying from BKK to KL then on to Adelaide with family of 4. Our flight from Bangkok arrives in KL at 10pm and departs 11:45. On hind sight it seems too tight. I read that Air Asia have this thing called fly-through where you check in at tranfer hall that makes it quicker (no visa checks, bags checked through to final destination etc). Has anyone had any experiences or heard anything or have any advice or tips? Do you think we will make the Adelaide flight easily or will it be stressful. Thanks for any help

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

Fly thru can be booked online but only if flights are spaced apart.

You need to contact the airline.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

I think the time is a bit short as KLIA is now a massive major airport which takes a considerable time to get around, what happens if the plane is a bit late even a half hour, much cheaper to fly to Bangkok to K.L. than it is from K.L. to Adelaide, especially as a family of 4.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

It's a bit tight to be honest. If you've already booked the flights separately then you can't go and change them with AA without incurring hefty fees, which are usually not worth it. If your flight arrives on time, you will need to go through immigration, collect your bags (it would be a lot quicker with only hand luggage) and then check in to your next flight. Flights close 45 minutes before take off and AA are usually pretty strict about it. Immigration and luggage collection could take an hour or more - it's really not long enough and if your first flight is delayed forget it.

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

You have to ask yourself, will the time you’ve allowed between flights, be 5 minutes + or 5 minutes - ? Will they hold that flight for you? Or will you have your nose pressed against the glass of KLIA2 watching your plane disappear into the night sky?

You’ve got to ask yourself do you feel lucky. Well do you Paulos391?

With only 1:45 between flights I would try to change the flight time of one of the flights.

I would suspect the flight from Bangkok to be cheaper than the next to Adelaide so that would be my first target.

Change time.

http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do;jsessionid=DBF5C2DE1F6B6B6AF4B5D3669F50FF23.tomcat5?id=266&name=Can+I+change+the+time+or+date+for+my+flight%3f

Miss your flight (2 separate point to point flights)

http://www.airasia.com/ask/template.do?id=255&name=If+I+miss+an+onward+flight+because+of+an+AirAsia+flight+delay%2c+what+should+I+do%3f

Have fun

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Adelaide, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

Thanks very much for your quick responses and suggestions. Have spoken to an Air Asia person on phone and has reassurred me (well he was reassuring me but I'm only 50% reassured) that all will be fine with the fly through service. One check-in at Bangkok, get 2 board passes etc, 15 to 30 mins to get to boarding gate for departing flight. Sounds good, but I know its still very tight. Also with fly through you can't change just one leg or flight: its all or change all. Thanks alot for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,690 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

So your original ticket was a fly through? You neglected to explain this in your OP.

Just that you read it was possible.

If you are in the possession of a fly through ticket and the first leg of your trip is delayed resulting in you missing your connecting flight, AirAsia is responsible for placing you on the next available flight.

Have fun

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
26,143 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

Yes, you didn't explain the fact that you are actually on a fly thru ticket, so there's no problem.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,399 posts
384 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

Hi

To be honest your quesiton is better asked of the Kuala Lumpur forum, when it gets ask, er, daily!

Unless you have fly thru' which you will have booked intially, then you don't have fly thru, and are very likely to miss your flight.

KLIA2 terminal is HUGE. It is taking around 90mins to 2 hours for some to walk between gates even for those with fly thru. So you will have to get a real wiggle on - ok you don't have to do the bags collect, but you will have to reconfirm your check in, and that desk is MILES away from the gates!

However, the good news is if you miss the flight back home, they will get you on the next one . . . . : (

Mentioned in this post
Kuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur
Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,677 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

The only problem is that if you do miss the second flight because your first is late, AirAsia will put you on the next "available" flight. That is not necessarily the next flight if it is fully booked nor necessarily the same day if the next flight is next day. I don't think that AirAsia pay for overnight accommodation and any transfer costs if it is next day. So let's hope the first flight arrives on time. With Fly Thru and on time flights 1hr 45min will be fine.

10. Re: Air Asia connecting flight time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 07:16