We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

Baltimore...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

I'm visiting Thailand next year in June 2014 (dates are flexible after May) and I'm wondering where is better to visit- Phuket or Ko Samui? I was initially thinking the latter because it seems like there are less people there, the beaches are more beautiful but after reading some forums there seems like there might be more to do in Phuket?

I'll be staying there for 7 days, I'm definitely one who likes nature, hiking, seeing different things and definitely experiencing some of the culture (and delicious Thai food, of course).

I'm just wondering where people would suggest to go based on activities and money. How much should I save for both places? (I'm single and a 24 year old female- So I wouldn't have to pay for anyone else, just myself).

If I went to Ko Samui, I know I have to take Bangkok airways to get there and back, but is there plenty to do on the island so I don't have to fly back and forth more than when I'm going & leaving? Also, is there grocery stores on the island?

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Ko Samui
Ko Samui
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

The biggest factor for me (which you haven't mentioned) is the weather! There are different weather patterns/monsoon seasons on the Andaman (Phuket) and Gulf (Samui) sides of Thailand.

June is wet season in Phuket and dry in Samui. For me it would be a no-brainer. No one can guarantee the weather of course but if you want the best chance of good weather pick Samui.

I always find plenty to do there and also love to spend time chilling :)

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,591 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

The biggest factor for me (which you haven't mentioned) is the weather! There are different weather patterns/monsoon seasons on the Andaman (Phuket) and Gulf (Samui) sides of Thailand.

June is wet season in Phuket and dry in Samui. For me it would be a no-brainer. No one can guarantee the weather of course but if you want the best chance of good weather pick Samui.

I always find plenty to do there and also love to spend time chilling :) you can do a couple of boat trips to neighbouring islands, do an island tour, cooking class etc. for 7 days I think you will definitely find enough to do.

As for supermarkets ~ yes. There is a huge ayes I Lotus and Big C as well as other small supermarkets dotted around. There are also pharmacies and 7/11's everywhere so you won't have any trouble finding supplies.

As to how much money, that us a hard one! You can eat super cheaply or very high end and everything in-between. Most hotels include a buffet breakfast and I find if I have a good breakie I am not super hungry at lunch. Beach food from the vendors is fantastic and cheap ($5 will feed you very well). If you allowed $100 per day that should be plenty to eat well, do a bit of shopping and allow for some cocktails as well. I would check out the tours you are considering (check out the KS forum for more info) and factor that cost into your budget. Some of the tours aren't cheap but you definitely get what you pay for.

Happy travels :)

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

Hi

If have 7 days then don't do both is not worth the airfares to fly between Samui and Phuket.

I would stick to one coast either east coast ( you can splits between Samui, Tao or phangnan) or stick to west coast. As Allie says in June you will have contrast weather between west and east coast. You will have more chance of better weather in east coast. However many still go to west coast in rainy season to take advantage of low season room rate.

If you want natures, hiking things like that why don't you split between Phuket and krabi. You will save money on air fares and minimize your travel time.

Cheers,

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

Id just do Krabi. Weather Smether. Been in June many times and its fine.

Phuket and Samui are expensive and overrated.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Baltimore...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

I have a time share that i'm using.. There isn't a Hilton timeshare in Krabi that I see :(

Baltimore...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

I heard some of the tours were scams- like Jet Ski tour specifically.. are there any tours that you suggest I stay away from?

Bangkok, Thailand...
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

You could have mentioned that. Hotels are cheap in Thailand in June. 4 stars for $30 up.

I wouldnt limit myself to timeshare hotels but up to you.

8. Re: Thailand- Phuket or Ko Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 06:16