We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northeast

Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
109 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Northeast

We fly to Thailand on the 16th of this month. It's our frist trip there. For some reason, I have had a hard time getting going on this vacation. I would like to visit the khmer area (Khorat, Buriram, Surin). I'm haveing a hard time finding information on how to get thereand get around once we are there. Does anyone have ideas?

Thanks,

Cheri

Mentioned in this post
Buriram
Buriram
Buriram Province, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,149 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Northeast

Hi

You will find some information on sawadee,com and also on this site www.thailandguidebook.com both sites have information on transport and tourist sites in each area,also hotels and how to get around while there.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Mentioned in this post
Kevin Resort
Kevin Resort
51 Reviews
Klaeng, Thailand
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northeast

I have spent alot of time in that area, and will be leaving on the 12th to go back. I am guessing you will be renting a car, which you will probably need. In Buriram, the 2 main sights are Prasat Muang Tam and Panom Rung (spelling may not be right). These are a few km apart, and several km south of a town called Prakhon Chai. Panom Rung is on the only significant hill in the area. As you drive east on highway 24 you will see small signs directing you south from highway 24, before you get to Prakhon Chai. You can also get there from Prakhon Chai, but the road is not well marked. Make sure you have a very good map. You can also try going to www.bankadon.com and follow the links to Time Out Bar. Ludo has some travel information posted about the area. There is a motel in Prakon Chai that provides clean, decent rooms with ac. It is on highway 24 on the left, kind of at the western edge of town, maybe 1 or 2 km from the main intersection.

There is at least one other historical sight in Buriram city, which is on the road from Prakon Chai to Buriram, before you get into Buriram, which I have never been to.

I have spent alot of time up there. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

Mentioned in this post
Buriram
Buriram
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northeast

I reread your post and wanted to add afew things to my reply. I am not sure how you are planning to get around. A car or a tour guide will likely be needed, unless you speak Thai. I suggest renting a car in Bangkok. Khorat is about3 1/2 hours from Bangkok on a good road, Buriram about 3 hours beyound Khorat, and Surin about 1 hour past Buriram. There are hotels in the provincial capitals, and decent motel type accomadations in most large towns. There is extensive bus service betweenthe towns, but at least in Buriram, the places you want to go are several km from town. You can probably arrange some transportation out to these sights, but it may be challenging if you do not speak Thai. Having your own car will make it easier, in my experience.

You can see most of the Khmer sights in Buriram in about a day. I do not know much about Khorat/Nakhom Ratchasima.

My email is jnhdrac@hotmail.com if you have more detailed questions.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Buriram
Buriram
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,149 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Mason, Ohio
Level Contributor
486 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northeast

You have 3 options to get there. You can fly with PBAir (www.pbair.com) to Buriram, take the train (approx 6hrs) or bus from Mo Chit but terminal (about the same). Take a look through the www.sawadee.com website for ideas on accommodations/attractions etc et. The aiport is a good 40-mins from central Buriram. I guess your hotel in one of those cities will be able to fix you up with transport to get to Phnom Rung etc.

Mentioned in this post
Buriram
Buriram
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,949 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northeast

I did not think of this option at first, but one possibility is to travel to Khorat/Nakhon Ratchasima, and then book a day tour or 2 through your hotel. Nakhon Ratchasima has a better selection of hotels, and you could visit the sights in Buriram in a day trip, particularly if you had a guided tour. You can fly to Nakhon Ratchasima on Thai, Mok, and I think Air Asia.

Mentioned in this post
Nakhon Ratchasima
Nakhon Ratchasima
Nakhon Ratchasima Province, Thailand
Buriram
Buriram
Asia Hotel Bangkok
Asia Hotel Bangkok
1,494 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Grants Pass, Oregon
Level Contributor
109 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northeast

Thanks for your suggestions. I have made note of them, We decided to skip this area this time. The more I study Thailand, the more I think there will be a next time.

Mentioned in this post
7. Re: Northeast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 20:18