We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

Hello everyone,

I am a little confused (and hurt) :-) over my recent reviews so I thought I would throw the question out there (especially for the newbies looking at reviews) to see what I might have done wrong?!!!

What do YOU consider a helpful review????

When I was looking for accommodation, a helpful review was a review GOOD or BAD that gave me plenty of information.... a unhelpful review were the typical 3 liner reviews that just said the place was good or bad but didnt outline why.... the short reviews that I learnt nothing from....

I vowed that when I got back from my holiday I would put the time and effort into my reviews to give people as much info as I could without writing an essay but I would also be honest about the good and bad stuff....

Having written my first two reviews, I have been slammed with 'unhelpful' votes on my reviews which leaves me perplexed... is it people that dont like me or is it people that only want to hear the good about places and dont like a bit of honesty, or is it hotel owners pissed?!?!?!?!

Can someone enlighten me before I waste my precious time writing any more reviews??!?!?!

Reet xxxx

Queensland...
Level Contributor
2,931 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

Hi Reet,I never usually bother to read reviews but I have just read yours after reading this post. As you know I followed your blogs & you have always been honest .(still haven't tried one of those buckets but we knew exactly what you were talking about).Keep doing your reviews your experiences will always help people with their travels... CJ

Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

I don't understand why you say you've been slammed with unhelpful votes...I see your Villa Siem Reap review has 0/1 meaning only one person voted and thought it wasn't helpful, and 0/0 for your Merlin review, which means no one voted yet or votes haven't been posted yet.

I can tell you that last night I voted helpful for your Merlin review because it is exactly what I look for in a review. Listed good points and bad points, said what you liked and didn't like, and described the place accurately from your point of view.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

Hmmm well according to my screen last time I checked it was at 7 out of 12 votes found it helpful... not a great percentage... maybe they take awhile to show up on the public screen!

Just asking the question!!!

Bangkok
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

Emjay, just be thankful you received helpful votes at all.

In my case, I probably would get many unhelpful votes if there were such a column

Cheers

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

Hi Reet.

don't get upset - it's just human nature.

I would say without hesitation that the negative votes were posted either by:

1) Someone who has stayed there before and disagreed or:

2) Someone who has BOOKED to stay there and isn't happy that they may have committed to a 'dud'.

Remember, the majority of people who read/care about your review are those with a vested interest.

I'm not saying they are right (far from it), but it is probably the reason.

Good to hear from you anyway. I've just sent you an email, by the way.

Cheers,

Gary

x

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

Hey Gary,

Didnt receive your email but my address has changed... its spau0003 at flinders edu au

At the end of the day it doesnt really matter but still it pisses me off... the whole "Is this helpful" needs to be taken off... Its stupid if this is all it is good for!!!!

Reet xx

Australia, melbourne
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

Hey Reet,

Just had a read! Find it very odd you had no views and now you have about 18... something is going on!

If they have the options to select 'unhelpful' they should have to comment on why. We members can then leave honest feedback without being targetted by hotel owners, workers etc and also (which I think might be the case here) others having a bit of fun giving 'unhelpful' scores for the sake of it.

keep smiling :)

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

I am sure it has to be people just doing it to annoy me... maybe cause I can be outspoken on here?! 53% wow! I should of just wrote the old 1 liner... great hotel shame about the pricing! Would of saved alot of time and been just as appreciated! :-)

*ps I am doing this post tongue in cheek for all those that think I am having a huge dummy spit - which gathering from some of the posts - and my continuously lowering score appears to be the case!!!!*

North Wales/Chester
Level Contributor
583 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

hello,

I think it is definately a case of people who want to hear only the good and not a 'real' review which personally is the only reason 'real' travellers use this forum. Carry on the good work and take no notice,if people want to carry on in cuckooland let them and rest assured that the rest of us are learning valuable information.

Amanda x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,168 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is the criteria for a HELPFUL review?

Hi Reet,

Don't understand what's going on here. Having just looked at your reviews. The Merlin shows 3/4 Helpful and the Siem Reap 4/5 helpful. Where do other figures come from?

Anyhoo, what's important about any review on TA is that it is real and honest. I think both of yours qualify very well in both regards. Having posted a review you can only hope that those who rate it have motives which are the same. If not, well, what the hey? TA reviews are meant to be guides to inform people NOT instructions one way or the other. Any sensible TA member who looks at a review will look at others too and identify when a positive, well-intentioned review has been unfairly dissed.

Keep on travelling, Reet, keep on blogging and keep on posting in your own inimitable way!

Regards

Alan