We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

opinions on location of two hotels?

Level Contributor
178 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
opinions on location of two hotels?

Staying in Bangkok for 4 nights in early April, with my family (2 adults, 2 kids ages 9 and 11).

Looking at staying in 2-bedroom suites in either the Marriott Mayfair Apartments (which are right next to Lumpini Park) OR the Lebua at State Tower (which seems to be behind the Shangri La on the river).

This shortlist is the result of helpful feedback on this forum!

Can anyone tell me which location is generally best for getting around (taxi, skytrain), and which gives the best impression of the city? It's our first visit. We'll have a day with one of Tong's guide in Bangkok, a day to wander, then a day out the city at floating market/tiger temple with tong's guide again, , then a final day to potter around.

One final question (which will probably mess up my hols but I feel I should ask!) - will I miss out on the "feel" of Bangkok by staying in these two hotels? Are they lacking Thai atmosphere?

Thanks in advance

Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: opinions on location of two hotels?

Wow, it took me two e-mails to customer support to figure out how to

reply to your inquiry from my hotel review. This odonart.

You had more questions about staying at the Mayfair Marriott Apartments. It is easy to get taxis there. There is a small grocery very close by. I wouldn't know about malls, but the review below mine says there are some close by.

Yes, it is pretty central for site seeing, but as I said, traffic is in gridlock so much of the time, it often moves at walking pace. So even sites that are less than 5 miles away can take forever to get to.

One of our party arrived a day ahead of us to the Marriott. She took the elevated train to the Jim Thompson house. she said it was easy. So I would recommend taking that and avoiding taxis as much as possible.

The Wat Phura Kea, the Grand Palace and Wat Arun are the most magnificant temples I have seen in any Asian countries I have visited.

DEFINITELY don't miss the stage show, Siam Niramit. It is perhaps the most spectacular show I have ever seen. The show is about the

various cultures in Thailand and the staging rivals anything in Las Vegas and Circque de Soleil, including live animals and water mechanics like the 'O' show in Vegas. You enter through a park sort of like Disney Village. You can walk straight through to the theater, or spend an hour or two there in advance. It comes with a buffet dinner before the 8:00 show which isn't good, but the show

is worth it. Note that it took our taxi more than an hour to get there.

Their brochure says that there is a free shuttle bus from the Thailand Cultural Center MRT station.

A similar show is advertised in Phuket as being the best one, but

it was a very poor and boring production. Give that a miss.

new brunswick
Level Contributor
573 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: opinions on location of two hotels?

Your final question is a non-issue. For first time visitor to BKK, there is plenty of overwhelming experience, one after another, One of the appeal of Thailand is foreigner visitors can experience Thai culture and yet enjoy Western comfort simultaneously. So it doesn't matter you pick Marriott Mayfair or Lebua, you wouldn't miss out the feel of Bangkok during the trip andyou wouldn't forget your experience in BKK after you finished the trip.

It is very difficult to pick between these two service apartments in term of location though. I have not stayed in either one. However, I stayed in very close vicinity to both about a month ago. In my last trip, I stayed in Centre Point Langsuan which is steps away Marriott Mayfair, and also Centre Point Silom which faces the Lebua state Tower.

Marriott Mayield is in a quiet, upper-middle class neighborhood with several other high-rise service apartments in the surrounding. There is a Starbuck and a 7-11 convenient store and a few restaurants in the same street. 7-10 minute walk to a big Central Department store with skytrain 'Chitlom' station and an excellent food court ( called food loft ). Many expat foreigners live in that area.

In Lebua State Tower, it is located in noisy, and busy neighborhood with plenty of street shops and street vendors, food stalls and much more traffic. There is a Siam bank oulet and money changer nearby, very local feel in this neighbor, and very different from Langsuan neighborhood. About 8-10 minute walk to skytrain and also a pier where you can board a boat ( very cheap fare ) that runs along the Chao Praya river. Walk to Robinson Department store and MacDonald and a pizza/coffee outlet is 4-5 minutes.

It depends on your preference. I don't think you will go wrong with either choice.

Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: opinions on location of two hotels?

In my opinion, The Marriot is located in a much nicer area but has no view of the river although I am not sure of the views from LeBua at State Tower.

What I can say about the Marriot it is located nicely on Soi Luang Suan (probably the place to stay in Bangkok for local expats) with tons of great restaurants around.

It is close to Lumpini Park and the Night Market and a ten minute walk to either the Rajadamri or Chidlom BTS stations making it easy to reach Bangkok's major shopping centers.

Thai Atmosphere - tough to define in modern day Bangkok. Depends if your tastes are Royal Thai or average Thai.

A stay around LeBua will put you into the hustle and bustle of everyday Thai life (although the hotel is not average) while a stay at this Marriot will put you in an area frequented by those with more money, style etc etc if you like that kind of atmosphere.

Depends on your tastes.

Level Contributor
1,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: opinions on location of two hotels?

I have heard some good reviews on Arun Residence.

This place is not near the skytrain, but you can reach river taxi easily and it's near all the temples and palace.

If you do mind about atmosphere and convenience, How about Shangri-la, Centre Point Silom, Peninsula, Marriott Resort & Spa, Royal orchid Sheraton, Bossotel Inn, Siam Heritage. Tantawan Place etc.

I would avoid Sukhumvit area although there's skytrain.

Level Contributor
178 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: opinions on location of two hotels?

Thanks everybody for your feedback, very helpful!

Not sure what I'd do without this forum!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: opinions on location of two hotels?

I've been in Bangkok many many times, and the most important feature to look for in a hotel is 1. proximity to the Sky Train and 2. proximity to the ferry cruising the Chao Praya river. Although you can travel around Bangkok by ferry and Tuk Tuk, the traffic is usually so bad it will take hours to wherever it is you're going. Plus the Sky Train and ferry (especially the ferry) are great fun to ride and to engage in the local's lives.

Lebua is close (approx. 5 mins) to both Sky Train and Ferry, Lumpini Park is only close to Sky Train.

Of the two, I've stayed at the Lebua only. It's a great hotel, and you're definetely in Bangkok as soon as you walk out the lobby. I'm not sure if it's a fun place for kids that age to stay, though. It's very comfortable, but also very hip and happening, not really a family hotel in my opinion. The really cool features about it (e.g. the Sky Bar) I don't think allows kids 'your' age. Plus: the accessibility to public transport.

Lumpini Park is a GREAT location if you're travelling with kids, as Lumpini Park is kind of Bangkok's Central Park. There's great things happening all the time (especially at 7 am, when all the Thai are working out in the park - thai chi and weight lifting and having breakfast); and it's a great place (maybe the only place in town) for kids to run free and breathe in relatively clean oxygen. Also, there's Suan Lum, Bangkok's Night Bazaar, right next to the park. Nothing classy, but definetely super Thai and great fun to visit, if only once.

Considering you're with kids, Although I do not know the hotel you mention, I would probably go for the Lumpini location if I had kids.

The only real downside is the fact that it's not close to the ferry; which is the way to travel to important sights (and also a great ride for kids).

Good luck, have fun!

Eva Amsterdam

Level Contributor
178 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: opinions on location of two hotels?

Thank you Eva, very helpful!

8. Re: opinions on location of two hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 12:19
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question