We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping private driver and guide

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
796 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping private driver and guide

I have booked a private driver and a guide for two days, one excursion to Ayuthaya and thhe other to Kanchanaburi. 9 hours for Ayuthaya and probably 12 for Kanchanaburi. Can someone advise as to the proper tip amount? Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi
Kanchanaburi Province, Thailand
Thailand's Ayutthaya Temples and...
1,218 Reviews
from US$69.50*
Free Cancellation
Bangkok by Night: Temples, Markets...
401 Reviews
from US$61.60*
Free Cancellation
Bangkok Dinner Cruise on the Chao...
568 Reviews
from US$37.10*
Free Cancellation
20 replies to this topic
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

No such thing as proper. Tip 100 baht or 500 baht if you want. It's your money and the driver might be good or crap. I would never tip bad service.

Edited: 02 April 2017, 03:14
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

Don't tip in Thailand. Thais don't tip. It's not America.

Mentioned in this post
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

Also depends if just an employee, or owner of business. Employee and excellent service, UP2U. If owner, then they are already making the profit from you.

Tipping is not really a Thai thing, and nowhere near the percentage of bill in the USA. Keep this in mind when going to restaurants, rarely is a tip left, and usually coins and or 20 baht. Many mid to upscale include a tip / service charge in the bill.

I'm a yank myself and took a while for me to adjust to that 'no tip' thing. If great service and want to tip, give directly to server, discreetly, so they will have it. Many places keep the tips, or divide among all staff, and it's for not.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

"Thais don't tip"

Thais do tip. Tipping is common around the world.

You not feelin the love?

And Thais would expect an American to tip even a small one.

Edited: 02 April 2017, 08:08
Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

Then they'll be extremely disappointed with me, as I follow the locals lead, if they leave something, when "when in Siam"........ I follow. IF, service merits it, and that's a big if.

Mentioned in this post
The Siam
The Siam
749 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
629 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

Yes but you're a poor farang living in a cheap small town. They would expect you to be kii niaw.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

Quite the opposite on the "kii niaw", since on a retirement visa. I simply don't throw baht away for the thrill of it.

I don't tip the cashier at Makro, or the fish monger at the local market. Maybe the ticket gal at MajorPlex deserves a tip, always smiles at me.............just me, nobody else.

UP2U where you give your baht away.

When I first got here, I used to 'try' to leave a tip, to the server, and they looked at me like I was nuts. "Hey, you forgot something, or what's this for"

Edited: 02 April 2017, 09:19
stockport
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

Thais do tip

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,493 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

I didn't say they 'didn't tip', just not like for services in the USA.

I leave the check bin up to the wife, eliminates me making a 'misjudgment' and saves me a lot of baht. If out alone, simply follow locals' lead.

For noobs.........simply look what the other diners are leaving. For tours.......frankly, I haven't a clue. Though as always, you'll get differing opinions on the subject, obviously.

Edited: 02 April 2017, 09:26
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping private driver and guide

For every 100 Americans tipping, you'll find 1 Thai tipping. And it's usually just coins in the change, nothing much. Generally speaking, you shouldn't tip in Thailand, because it's not the culture and nobody expects it and if everyone tipped, they'd expect me to, too.

Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Tipping private driver and guide
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted