We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriage Paperwork

5 posts
Save Topic
Marriage Paperwork

Hi, my fiancé and I are getting married in Khoa Lak in January. We have a few days in Bangkok on the way to get our paperwork sorted.

Can anyone recommend a hotel to stay at that's close to where we need to go to get it all done?

Any general advice regarding the whole process would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
20 replies to this topic
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
4,443 posts
823 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriage Paperwork

Sawasdee,

You could stay at a hotel near On Nut BTS station and Tesco Lotus Sukhumvit 50.

You could file a Thai marriage license at the Phra Khanong District Office. The Phra Khanong District office is south of the Tesco Lotus and is 400 meters (5 minutes) from the On Nut BTS station and the Tesco Lotus.

-

For example, At Mind Executive Suites/hotel is near the Phra Khanong District Office.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Hotel Lotus Sukhumvit
Bangkok Hotel Lotus...
903 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
At Mind Executive Suites
At Mind Executive Suites
560 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
2. Re: Marriage Paperwork

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 September 2017, 16:35

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriage Paperwork

There are three places you need to go one being your own countries embassy so without knowing where you are from it is difficult to advise on where to stay. However a lot of embassies are on Wireless Road which is 22 Km from the Thai department of consular affairs which is the last place you need to go and I think you need to go twice as they no longer do the while you wait service that they did when we got married, the third place is a translation service and you can get this done close to the embassy or at the DOCA (more expensive)

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
8,797 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriage Paperwork

Amy unless you tell us where you need to go while in Bangkok how can we advise about a convenient hotel?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriage Paperwork

Amy

I don't know why my previous post giving you helpful information on the procedures involved from a previous post by someone who had gone through them and asking where you are getting married was removed along with what was intended to be other help but here we go again wityh the link and hope that those misguided members who thought iot inappropriate now accept it for what it was intended.

https:/…74029907

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriage Paperwork

First, you do not need an agent, it is a simple, and fairly inexpensive process.

Here's some fairly current info:

https:/…married-thailand-diy-day

5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriage Paperwork

Thank you so much!

We have allowed 2 days in Bangkok to organize everything... will this be enough time do you think?

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Bangkok
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriage Paperwork

From the above link, no.

I remember mine took 3 tries and the embassy had to make a call to Bang Rak to get us married.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
7,451 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriage Paperwork

No, I would plan 5 days, starting Monday early. If done in 3 days, good, if not, you have the days, before needing to stay over a weekend. Translations especially, may take longer than you think. Or pay extra for expedited service, if available.

If a yank, you can not just show up at the embassy for notarization, you need an appointment.

I actually did it from out of province, Udon Thani, mailed to translation service, which handled the rest. The time consuming thing was the translations. Of course not in 3 days, but not in a hurry. Don't expect everything to go smooth.

When doing it once in person, in Bangkok (yea, 2 marriages), first one 17 years ago, remember needing being there, unplanned over a weekend.

Mentioned in this post
Udon Thani
Udon Thani
Udon Thani Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriage Paperwork

Ok, thanks, that's really helpful.

I'm Australian, don't know if that makes a difference with anything!

How do I find the documentation that's required?

Reply to: Marriage Paperwork
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted