We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
910 posts
15 reviews
Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

Hi All,

Finally booked my first ticket to Thailand for Summer 2018. It will be me and my wife (both 30 somethings) coming in from NYC at midnight to BKK on a Friday Night.

We have started doing tons of research, but would like to get feedback on our Itinerary. This is our possible Plan A & B.

Itinerary A:

1) 5 Nights in Bangkok (Fraser Suites) Nightlife, Bars, Floating Markets, Regular Markets Temples, Mall or Two, Maybe a cheap river ride, Lots of Food.

2) 4 Nights in Phuket Patpong Area: Beach, Nightlife, Elephant Sanctuary, Food, Food, Food

3) 4 Nights Krabi Ao Nang, or Railay area: Beach, Day Trips, Khao Sok National Park, recuperate for ride back to NYC

4) 1 full night in Bangkok: Souvenirs last minute to dos, Flight leave at 1 AM next Day.

Itinerary B:

1) 4 Nights in Bangkok (Fraser Suites) Nightlife, Bars, Floating Markets, Regular Markets Temples, Mall or Two, Maybe a cheap river ride, Lots of Food.

2) 2 Nights in Chang Mai: Elephant Sanctuary, Food, a quick must see site or two.

3) 2 Nights Phuket Patong Area: Beach, Nightlife, Food, Food, Food

4) 4 Nights Krabi Ao Nang, or Railay area: Beach, Day Trips, Khao Sok National Park, recuperate for ride back to NYC

5) 1 full night in Bangkok: Souvenirs last minute to do's, Flight leave at 1 AM next Day.

We are leaning towards plan B right now, but don't want to suffer burn out. We plan to fly in all instances possible so very little time is wasted.Again we are actually seeking it all in this trip; however all out partying as it pertains to nightlife is not on our to priorities.

All help appreciated. If it helps we are on a $3000-3500 USD spending budget between us for the 2 weeks

76 replies to this topic
Brooklyn
Level Contributor
910 posts
15 reviews
11. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

Wow,

You guys are completely blowing my mind here. Sounds like I may have to start planning my second trip now. I think I have to do way more research on Chiang Mai as everyone seems to be in love with the place while I thought it was just a sleepy northern city. I am also surprised at how much disdain there is for Patong. I thought although it is somewhat touristy a must for first timers. I also gather from this that Khao Sok is not a real day trip.

Portsmouth uk
Level Contributor
262 posts
12. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

For our first trip to Thailand (8days ) we just saw a little of Bangkok and 6 days at Hua Hin. Second time Bangkok and Khao Lak. Third time Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai , Phuket and back to Bangkok. Have been back to Bangkok several more times on route to other countries in SE Asia and still haven't seen everything. Sometimes have tried to see too much and it's the travelling in between one remembers!! L.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
910 posts
15 reviews
13. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

P.S. saw a flight from BKK to Chiang Mai for $15!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,773 posts
126 reviews
14. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

We always stay in Patong. Some love it some hate it. It can be as busy as you want or as quiet as you want. Lots of areas.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
561 posts
26 reviews
15. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

I like the advice from #10. That’s exactly the route I took on my first trip to Thailand. You make a nice clean triangle on the map with minimal travel. You’ll get city, mountains and beach.

Adding much more will increase time spent in airports, ferries or buses.

Mine would look like:

3 days Bangkok

4/5 days Chiang Mai

5/6 days Phuket or Krabi (Phi Phi side trip)

1 day Bangkok

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
23,343 posts
177 reviews
16. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

I agree completely with posts 10 & 15. With only 14 days you'll need to factor in jet lag the first day, so take it slowly and acclimatise. The rest of what's suggested would be ideal, would give you an all round idea of Thailand and would reduce wasted time each time you relocate.

CM is most certainly worth visiting as there are a great many places of interest to visit in the immediate area.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
910 posts
15 reviews
17. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

This may seem weird; however I have been doing a bit of research on Chiang Mai and outside of the Elephant Sanctuaries feel a bit uninspired to make it a larger part of our trip. I keep hearing terms like "real Thai Culture" , but I can't get a real depth to that statement. Maybe Its one of those you just need to go and see places!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
19 reviews
18. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

In my opinion 3 nights in Chiang Mai is more than enough, it will give you 2 whole days: to visit the city on one day and venture out of the city on the second day. We got bicycles from our hotel and cycled to places we wanted to see and on the second day we went to (by taxi) Doi Suthep temple and stopped on the way back at Wat Pha Lat (this one is small but very interesting, and not very touristy).

Canada
Level Contributor
100 posts
21 reviews
19. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

Hi. I agree with the rest that "B" is stretching yourselves. In my opinion, it all depends on what you think your chances are of coming back, lol. If you think that is a high probability (And I will lay money down on that bet), then I think I would make sure to do at least 3 FULL days in each place that you end up going to, and not try to do only 2 days in any of the places. (I have never actually been to Chang Mai yet, but it is on my wish list).

3 Full days is perfect for a first time in Bangkok. Bangkok will wear you out (in a good way), but can overwhelm first timers.

In Phuket, Patong has a nice beach and gets crazy at night, and is great for partying etc. The rest of Phuket is quite laid back. I never actually stay right IN Patong, but Tuk Tuks are everywhere, so no biggie to stay 10 or 15 minutes away at one of the quieter beach resorts if you want. I enjoyed travelling around the island. And you will want to take a speedboat tour. They are good fun.

Bottom line, do not limit yourself to less than 3 days anywhere in Thailand.

Brooklyn
Level Contributor
910 posts
15 reviews
20. Re: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?

It seems that no one is a fan of Khao Sok?

Reply to: Itinerary Help, 14 Days In Thailand How Many Cities?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted