We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to utilise my transit time at BKK

4 posts
Save Topic
How to utilise my transit time at BKK

I am reaching BKK at 8PM and my connection flight is at 3AM. That means I have 7hrs. What is the best way to spend these hours effectively in BKK ? Kindly advice !

9 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to utilise my transit time at BKK

Actually you only have about 4 hours. Is flight at BKK or at DMK? Is it domestic flight?

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,136 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How to utilise my transit time at BKK

Where are you flying to at 3 am? If only another city in Thailand or even a nearby country there are flights that leave with better departure times where you can use a hotel in the city with stuff you can walk to.

If you mean BKK Suvarnabhumi Airport you have the Airport Rail Link that can take you to the city for cheap money. But after midnight no rail service. You should be back at the airport 2 hours before check in. You may have to pay for a taxi to get back to Suvarnabhumi if you go into the city, (Read up on how to use taxis BEFORE you need one!)

With only 7 hours (and late at night) consider just staying at the airport for the time you are there. Bring a good book to read. You chose the arrival and departure times.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,527 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to utilise my transit time at BKK

Get the airport link to Phaya Thai. Total time if you don't mess around in the airport will be about 40 minutes and same for the return. So if you allow 30 minutes for clearing immigration, 90 minutes for checking in again (should be ample for a 3am flight, less required if domestic), that means total time available to you will be about 3-4 hours.

If going to Asoke or Phrom Phong then maybe quicker to get off the ARL at Makkasan station and then get the MRT rather than the BTS.

From Phaya Thai or Asoke you can get to most central places in BKK in around 15 minutes on the skytrain - Siam, Silom, Nana/Asoke, Emporium at Phrom Phong, Mochit for JJ Green market (maybe only weekends, not sure) etc. Check maps to plan more specifically.

Alternative to all that would be to get a taxi from the airport to the train night market at Seacon square. Or the ARL to Hua Mak then a taxi. It's not that far from the airport but only opens on weekends and be careful you leave enough time for the taxi back.

edit: forgot the ARL closes after midnight...

Edited: 20 November 2017, 11:56
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How to utilise my transit time at BKK

Thanks !

My flight from Colombo reaches at 17:40 and connection to Hangzhou (China) is at 3:20 AM.

5. Re: How to utilise my transit time at BKK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 November 2017, 12:35
Edited: 20 November 2017, 12:35

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to utilise my transit time at BKK

Sorry 19:40 and 03:20

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to utilise my transit time at BKK

"My flight from Colombo reaches at 17:40 and connection to Hangzhou (China) is at 3:20 AM."

If you leave the airport you may have to pay departure tax. Is it on one ticket or 2 separate tickets?

Edited: 20 November 2017, 12:20
Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
18,136 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How to utilise my transit time at BKK

Easiest is just staying in transit. If you must buy a VOA depends on your passport.

Good luck.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
8 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to utilise my transit time at BKK

There is a Boxtel inside the airport, so you could take a rest there in a sleeping cabin. Reviews are quite good. I suggest you book it in advance, it is quite popular.

Reply to: How to utilise my transit time at BKK
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted