We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tiger Temple or not??

Australia
Level Contributor
510 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tiger Temple or not??

After reading so many reviews on the Tiger Temple from concerned travellors we had decided not to go. However my sister is now worried that she will miss out on something that could be an incredible experience.

Is there anyone out there that felt positive about this place or feels it should not be missed?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
663 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

i'm in the same boat wendy.

we are only in bangkok for 2 fulls days - flying out on the third, and i had planned a whole day for kanchanaburi tiger temple and erawan falls but after reading reviews im a little hesitant.

2. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2007, 12:29
brisbane
Level Contributor
10 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

We went because a friend told us it was the absolute highlight of their trip to Thailand - we felt it was the biggest disappointment and all that we did was get a photo with the tigers. Everyone is different I guess so that is the decision you have to make. If we hadn't gone we may still be thinking we missed out on something very special.

colorado
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

I am going there on my next trip. I still want to go there since I have Tong booked eventhough I know that there are mixed reviews about it.

I also noticed that many clients who toured with her enjoyed and raved about it. Some didn't like it..I'm sure she might enhance their trips or give some deep info???

I will report back. BTW, I wouldn't spend whole day just to go there, it's just one of destinations we're interested.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
277 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

Wendy,

I think it is a case of if you never go you will never know.

We found the Tiger Temple was not as positive experience as we expected but then I found the whole River Kwai thing depressing - this is where people lost their lives in atrocious conditions to further Japanese Imperialism yet there was a sort of festive market feel to it.!!!

Overall I am glad I went. At the worst I supported a good cause by putting some money in the pocket of the Tiger Temple and better understand Thai attitiudes to the Second War.

cheers

Freddy

Australia
Level Contributor
111 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

Wendy ... Just back although I wouldn't say it couldn't be missed, it was definitely one of the highlights of my trip. I love being around animals and to have that beautiful tigers head in my lap (with my heart racing) is something I wont forget., I also enjoyed just walking around seeing all the pigs etc just going about there business without a worry about you watching.

Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

We are just back from Thailand and spent 3 nights in Kanchanaburi, loved the town and had some incredible food there. We went to Tiger Temple and I must say it wasn't exactly what I had expected, but after getting to touch the tigers and give some money towards the whole cause I was happy enough that I did it. We did not find them "drugged" as others have said on some forums. It was very hot and they were as lethargic as the rest of us.

I would go to Erawan Falls without a second thought, it was the highlight of our trip out to Kanchanaburi. Erawan falls are so beautiful, make sure you get to spend a good amount of time there as the different levels are all beautiful in their own way and the fish nibbling is an experience you won't forget.

The other reason we went to Kanchanaburi was because my husbands father was POW and worked on the Death Railway, we had a very moving time viewing the war museum, and were glad we went and saw where he spent some of his time during WW11.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
146 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

I presume the tigers are chained up. That is not something I want to see. You dont have to go and witness the degradation of animals for human enjoyment.

Canberra ACT
Level Contributor
232 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

We did the tigers on our trip last year. It was ok -but if you don't go you won't have missed too much. I would suggest if time is short then there are better things to see and do. However, if you are on a longer trip by all means have a look. The tigers seem to be well looked after although I must admit I came away witht he impression that they were doped up to the eye balls.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
364 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tiger Temple or not??

Hi Wendy,

We are booked to go to the Tiger Temple & River Kwai on Monday, and I am looking forward to it....

As for the tigers being drugged, some people will say yes some say no, however in reality 'wild' tigers are very lazy and lethargic during the daylight hours, so why should anyone expect these ones to be any different?.....you also need to remember that anyone can volunteer to stay at the Temple at any time, so drugging the animals seems a bit risky to me.

And yes, some of the more aggressive tigers will be caged or chained up, if they weren't they wouldn't be there and would probably be dead as the tigers are either orphaned or rescued from poachers, and remember no matter what, these are wild animals that are quite capable of inflicting some serious damage to a person.

Do some independent research on the web and see what you think.

-James.