We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advise, first time to Bangkok!

Niceville,Florida
Level Contributor
15 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Need advise, first time to Bangkok!

Hi there,

I need advise on the best hotel location near the major attractions. I was considering the Royal Orchid Sheratin because of the water taxis...Is this hotel in a good location for seeing the sights? We will only be in Bangkok for 2 maybe 3 nights. Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel, taxis? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Floridagirl

Mentioned in this post
Orchid Resort
Orchid Resort
216 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advise, first time to Bangkok!

We really like the riverside location. It's easy to get to the skytrain by boat, and river traffic watching is interesting. The Royal Orchid Sheraton is an OK hotel, though quite generic, if you stay in their standard rooms, and becomes a good hotel if you stay in the Towers rooms with lounge access...it's like 2 different hotels.

If you are going during low season (May - September), you may find that the luxury hotels on the river have prices in your range. We are really fond of the Peninsula...great breakfast, great pool, great service, and great shuttle boats. In August we'll go back there for the 4th time on our first stop in BKK, then we will try the Oriental for our second stop in BKK. It will be our first time at the Oriental, but in correspondence, they have been really lovely to work with. They have some special offers for the low season that aren't quite as low as the Peninsula, but still nothing close to high season pricing.

The Shangri-la has some very good package rates on their own website. You might have a look there...pool is huge and lovely, and 2 minute walk to skytrain.

The BKK Marriott Resort and Spa might be the best priced of the nicer riverside hotels, the pool is gorgeous, the rooms are fine though not outstanding. The big but is that it is 15 minutes by boat from the skytrain, and while that's OK for some people, it bothers us. And the Marriott's boats aren't that nice.

The Hilton is nice IF you can get it for around $100.00 US/night. Above that, and I think it's overpriced. Rooms are smallish and sparse by design. Some love it, others, like me, don't. The pool is interesting...chairs sitting in shallow water...they call it the Beach.

From the airport to any hotel, you have the option of hotel car (most expensive unless it's included in your rate, in which case it's a great way to go), airport limo service (under 1000 baht) that you just get at the limo counter upon arrival (ignore touts), or taxi (under 500 baht) go to the taxi line.

Mentioned in this post
Orchid Resort
Orchid Resort
216 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
SFO-NRT-SIN-BKK
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advise, first time to Bangkok!

Greetings Trish,

As noted, some fine hotels in Bangkok. I am presently partial to our two honeymoon venues, the Oriental and the Peninsula; concluded my latest BKK business trip at the O last month, and it was as proper as ever. (Thirty minutes, hotel to BKK, in one of their black bimmers --- very early morning, mind you.)

Will always have the fondest memories of the Royal Orchid Sheraton. (But must confess, all of my business visits occured during my "bachelor" days.)

Still frequent the Shangri-La and Four Seasons for work, and love those properties. In-room massage treatments until 2 AM at the FS, and 24-hours at the SL, via the marvelous, Maiden Massage. (Experienced the latter a few weeks back - after arriving late, via the ever-fine TG677 F - and it was as sweet as ever.)

Now, a little wild-card: The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. Haven't stayed here since those bachelor days, but will return next week for meetings and a conference. (And will be finishing with mrs. m, at an undisclosed location.) Doing it with a few "still single" business colleagues: airport "meet and greet," merc to the SGS, and then --- (I look forward to their tales).

Finally, early congrats on your forthcoming first time in Bangkok. (My first visit was purely for fun, arriving from Kathmandu after a mountaineering expedition in Nepal. Got a little taste, and it has become a rather personal/professional existence.)

Savour your time --- in The City of Angels.

macintosh (robert)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i10195-Favourit…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i10672-Up_to_Yo…

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Orchid Resort
Orchid Resort
216 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Sukhumvit
Sukhumvit
1,850 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Kathmandu
Kathmandu
Kathmandu Valley, Nepal
Washington, DC
Level Contributor
280 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advise, first time to Bangkok!

Just stayed at the Royal Orchid last week, it is as good of a location as any of the river front hotels, the water taxi is very convenient. However, I don't know as it's convenient to much else and the area around the hotel is nothing to get excited about. That being said, Bangkok is so spread out and big that I don't think any one hotel can be convenient to everything. We did have a tower room, top floor facing the Grand Palace, and the view was great, as was the lounge that is available to guests on that floor. We had the hotel send a car since there were 3 of us with a fair amt of luggage, probably a little more expensive than a taxi but very convenient, they met us at baggage claim, the cold towels and cold drinks in the car were much appreciated in the 100 degree heat!!

Mentioned in this post
Orchid Resort
Orchid Resort
216 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
The Grand Palace
The Grand Palace
30,183 Reviews
Bangkok, Thailand
4. Re: Need advise, first time to Bangkok!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 21:18