We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchange rate

county durham
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Exchange rate

Hi

Land in Bangkok Sunday for 4 nights then ko samui for 8, what is the current exchange rate, just to see if it is better out there or buy here in the UK?

Tia

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Thailand's Ayutthaya Temples and...
1,218 Reviews
from US$69.30*
Free Cancellation
Bangkok by Night: Temples, Markets...
399 Reviews
from US$61.40*
Free Cancellation
Bangkok Dinner Cruise on the Chao...
568 Reviews
from US$37.00*
Free Cancellation
13 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
8,723 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exchange rate

It has been a long time since this was asked ,so time to up date. The rate will be not that much better before Immigration at BKK. Once you are In Bangkok 3-4 baht better than the UK.

I suggest look at www.daytodaydata.net you can track the FX.

Chok Dee

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok Intl Airport
Bangkok, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
county durham
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exchange rate

Thank you

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exchange rate

You can see the current day to day rates for all the Thai banks and major independent money exchanges at https://daytodaydata.net/

Use that to compare with best rates collected or delivered at home at https://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/ to determine whether you change any before leaving UK. The difference in Thailand now is not as great as it used to be.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
16,361 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exchange rate

Check before you leave:

https://daytodaydata.net

Penryn, United...
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Exchange rate

Generally its over 3b per £ more in Thailand

for example where I work I am offering 40.71 today where the place I use in Bangkok ( Superrich) is offering 44.00

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Exchange rate

Assuming of course you can get to a SuperRich or other private exchange with no great effort or cost from where you are staying, If you have time you can get better than bank rates at the private exchanges at the airport link level in BKK airport on arrival.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
2,555 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Exchange rate

Whilst it is still true that the best rate in Thailand is better than the best in the UK the days of 3 Baht plus better on the pound are long gone these days you will be lucky if you get 1 Baht more in Thailand for example today the best in Thailand (according to the day to day site) is 44.0 Baht to the pound whilst the best in the UK is 43.2 in my opinion it is still a good enough difference to make changing in Thailand worthwhile providing you will have easy access to an exchange that gives somewhere close to the best rate.

Edit stay well away from wherever ChrisThom works even Tesco are offering close to 42 Baht to the pound.

Edited: 26 March 2018, 10:18
Mentioned in this post
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Exchange rate

"Generally its over 3b per £ more in Thailand"

Not at the moment, rates are quite good in UK, Debenhams today is 43.058 baht to £. In London you can get 43.32 which is better than a lot of Thai exchangers even in Bangkok.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
county durham
Level Contributor
42 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Exchange rate

Thanks so much think I’ll buy from Debenhams then it’s all done I’ve bought in Thailand before but doesn’t seem worth waiting

Mentioned in this post
Greater London...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Exchange rate

The £ is strong at present, because (stated on business news today) the dealers are expecting a rate rise in May. We do not go until 19th April so I may wish to wait.

Dilemma. Will the rates rise ..Yes/No/Yes/No? Yes/No? Maybe?

Buy now...Yes/No? Yes/No? Yes/No? May be ? Perhaps Yes? Perhaps No? Humm gaining 100 baht for all this stress.

Why worry over the price of a bag of chips from the local Fish and Chip shop.

I have a degree in Hindsight!

Reply to: Exchange rate
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted