We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bangkok to Siem Reap!

Australia
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Topic
Bangkok to Siem Reap!

Hi

Ill be in Bangkok in Jan 08 and was wondering what options I have to visit Siem Reap?

I heard theres tours that can take you to the area by bus. I was wondering how much they cost, how long and how convenient/comfortable?

If you have other information or experiences your welcome to share!

Thanks!

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap!

deyveed

option1 is to fly with Bangkok airways. they are the only airline that fly from BKK to SR, thus they charge a premium - factor in 11000-12000B return as it is peak season.

option2 - is take the bus to the border with cambodia and then take a car/taxi to siem reap. it is doable, it takes a long time, about 12 hours. i'm not sure of the cost.

check out the following websites for reviews of the trip overland

talesofasia.com/cambodia-overland-bkksr-repo…

www.travelfish.org/feature/71

bkk3

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap!

Another alternative is to fly with Air Asia from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, Cambodias capital, you can then drive/bus or cruise down the river to Siem Reap (takes a few hours). Since you aren't travelling until next year keep tabs on Air Asias website they put on specials where you pay the TAX ONLY. They had deals last month Bangkok to Phnom Penh $36 AU each way. They will put these deals on again for sure. (3 times last year). There normal price though is only around $90 one way.

Godd luck

Coffs

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap!

I agree with both posters... do NOT pay for one of the private buses from a travel agent, especially in the Khao San area... all the details of why are on the Tales of Asia website.

Just get to the bus station, catch a public bus to the border then get a taxi to Siem Reap.. share with other travellers to cut the cost!

My experience is here : travelblog.org/Asia/…blog-116990.html

And you can find lots of others experiences in Tales of Asia.... I have heard of people taking 16-20 hours on those buses from hell, and the road is so bad, you will be glad to pay the extra to be sitting in a car on it rather than in a bus! Yuck!!

Otherwise Air Asia to PP then bus to SR is another option... but the overland isnt that bad, if you follow the instructions from Tale of Asia... brilliant website.

Reet x

4. Re: Bangkok to Siem Reap!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 01:19