We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

silly question but have to ask

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
melbourne
12 posts
Save Topic
silly question but have to ask

hi can someone give me some info please have been told not to drink the water in bangkok and ask for no ice etc .does this apply to fast food places like mcdonalds as there soft drink is normally mixed with water also is it alright to drink the coffee in motel and starbucks etc thanks for any help

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: silly question but have to ask

Most touristy places wlll generally use ice that is ok... look for the cylinder shaped ice - that is the good stuff (with the hole in the middle).... the ice that will make you sick is the shaved or chunky ice that has obviously come off a larger block of ice... dont use that stuff...

Water is fine if boiled so coffees etc are totally fine....

Use bottled water to brush your teeth... its cheap and everywhere and most places supply it anyway

Reet xx

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,830 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: silly question but have to ask

I would avoid knowingly drinking the water in Bangkok, but I would also not worry too much about inadvertent exposure. I brush my teeth with tap water now, but I do not get a glass and drink it. Using bottled water is probably a good choice for a vacationer, because some stomach upset on a vacation can really be a bad thing. The only time I have had an issue with water or stomach upset was from drinking water in Issan that I knew not to drink. It was an experience that I hope not to repeat.

In short, avoid the tap water if possible. but do not worry too much if you consume some. Ice is generally not a problem. I have drank a bunch of coffeee, soft drinks, lemonade, ice in beer, etc. and never had an ill effect in Bangkok.

Denver
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: silly question but have to ask

The old saying, "better safe than sorry" definitely applies. The weather in Thailand is hot and humid so you're going to want to have bottled water with you at all times anyway. Might as well just get used to the idea of using bottled water for everything which might involve water entering your digestive system.

Have a great trip! You'll love Thailand.

melbourne
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: silly question but have to ask

thanks every one feel alot better now

5. Re: silly question but have to ask

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 01:16