We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thai baht or dollars?

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thai baht or dollars?

Hi

I will be in Thailand in 2 weeks, Should I take Thai baht or dollars or a bit of both? I have been told I can use both.

Thanks.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thai baht or dollars?

Whats wrong with pound sterling?

I took a mixture of three: thai baht (just enough to get me through a few hours), a small amount of US dollars - it really isnt worth it.

Sterling was the best exchange.

Even better rate was given by using my nationwide account to draw money from the ATM - Nationwide dont charge any commission/withdrawl fee and was aslightly better than cash

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
957 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thai baht or dollars?

I would definitely use the Nationwide card if you have one already, or even see if you have enough time to open an account but I think 2 weeks will be too short a time period.

Otherwise, just use your normal ATM card and take cash out that way. No point in losing out on exchange differences converting gbp to usd and then to thai bhat. And I'm sure you'll get a better rate through your cashcard in Thailand than getting it out here.

Hope you have a lovely holiday.

cleveland
Level Contributor
3 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thai baht or dollars?

Change your money on arrival at the airport pounds to baht no commission and best rates see www.bangkokbob.net all the info you will need for Bangkok

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thai baht or dollars?

There is no need to take Thai Baht with you as there are money changers at the airport directly after customs.

I would take UK sterling with you.

If you take US$ then you will have to pay exchange rates twice and that will not be worth it. The US$ is not too good at the moment in Thailand

This is the Bangkok Bank exchange rate site

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Personal+Banking/Foreign+Exchange/FX+Rates/default.htm

The exchange rates at the airport are almost the same as they are everywhere else

I would suggest you do not use your hotel to change money as you will get a really bad rate.

There are many exchanges around the major tourist areas in the major cities.

Enjoy your trip I've only got 12 Days till I take off myself

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Thai baht or dollars?

Thank you all for the advice.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,599 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thai baht or dollars?

If you open a Nationwide account,make sure it's a FlexAccount.I tried to withdraw money in France last week on a Cashbuilder account and it didn't work.When I phoned Nationwide(number on the back of the card)I was told this account can only be used in the UK.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
462 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thai baht or dollars?

Good point, never thought about that although I do have a flex account; I thought it would apply to all accounts

8. Re: Thai baht or dollars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 20:15