We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Bangkok

Preston UK
12 posts
Save Topic
Shopping in Bangkok

Myself and Wife are arriving in Thailand for our first ever visit on the 6th November.We are staying at the Landmark Hotel for 3 nights and would be grateful for some advice as to what shops/restaraunts nearby are worth visiting .Thanks

Moth

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Bangkok

Landmark is close to Nana BTS station

Skytrain will get you to good shopping

Using the BTS map http://www.bts.co.th/en/tourist.asp

Emporium Phrom Phong

Central Chitlom

MBK National Stadium

Should keep u going

If you are there over a weekend then the weekend market could take up a whole day if you let it

Enjou your trip

Bangkok
Level Contributor
247 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Bangkok

Just want to add something with agreeing in Breconion post. You can also easily reach to Siam, Siam Paragon too. These shopping area have some connecting bridge to the mall.

If you ever heard about Chatuchak Market. You can reach here at Mochit Station too.

bangkok
Level Contributor
312 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Bangkok

Hi,

Agree with all posts.So your hotel walking distance to BTS Skytrain that can bring you to many places for shopping.

I like Chatuchak Weekend Market and daily open is JJ Mall behind Chatuchak Weekend Market.

Cheers.

9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Bangkok

Hi,

I would also suggest Suan-lum night bazaar. It's a night market and not far from your place. Local taxi would cost you around THB 60-70.

London
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Bangkok

Just back from Bangkok where I spent a day and a half shopping. Best bargains at MBK and Central Plaza. If you go to Siam Paragon, just window shop. The prices are ridiculous there. No wonder the place is almost empty.

Try on all clothes before buying. The thai sizes are very different to our's. Thai's are not only small, they are very thin. I am a "small" in Europe. Many medium size tee shirts were too small for me there.

Tip: in MBK and Central, take your passport and get a tourist card at the information desk. This will get you discounts of between 20% and 10% at many of the shops. If spending over 2000 baht on any item, or more than 5000 baht in total, you can claim the VAT back at the airport on your purchases. It is 7%. Ask the shop assistant to complete the VAT form when you buy. You claim the money back BEFORE CHECK IN at the airport

Sydney
Level Contributor
470 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Bangkok

Just with regard to VAT refund: you can actually proceed to the VAT refund office either after you've checked in your luggage or before the check in procedure......though the officials may want to actually inspect an item if it is particularly expensive so if you have such an item do ineeed go to the refund office prior to check in.

I think what the previous poster meant was that the VAT refund office is found in the outer check-in hall and not in the hall one enters after passing passport inspection and preparing to board the aircraft.

With regard to shopping in Bangkok: we found it rather disappointing unless what you're after are cheap items that may or may not fall apart after being worn or used a couple of times. We stuck to T-shirts, 'typical' Thai souvenirs, clothing and small items of luggage that were so ridiculously priced that we did not care much about its durability.

The warren-like alleys of the Chatuchak weekend market and the daily Pratunam market near the Bayoke Hotel/Observation Lounge and Indra hotel were fun places to pick up such items as were - to a lesser extent - the nightly stalls set up along Silom Rd.

Regular shopping centres are impressive - if often confusing - architectural edifices and worthy temples of consumerism but their prices are very high. (Paragon food hall and supermarket pretty impressive though.)

By all means, go to the MBK shopping centre because it's a 'must-do' when in Bangkok but bear in mind that the range of products there approximates those of the outdoor markets.

We passed through there a couple of times during our last trip and picked up nothing more than stockings, socks, souvenirs and a couple of fake Polo shirts....which have actually survived a few washed now! :-)

Don't forget to bargain with a smile anf good humour. It's fun and friendly and unfailingly gets good results.

Enjoy.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
51 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Bangkok

When you are in MBK, dont forget to go to the 5th level where you will find a nice food court! You get an electronic card and you can run free to try all the different types of food. Then you pay on teh way out.

Newark-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
25 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping in Bangkok

We stayed at the Landmark back in 2004.

The hotel is great and you'll have a great time !

It's ideally located for all the main attractions plus the sky Train stops at Nana Station which is right outside the hotel.

Try eating in the Rib Room at the Landmark one evening. It's right at the top of the hotel and the views across the city at night are magnificent !

There's also a bar/pub in the basement that serves good breakfasts and lunches.

Take full advantage of the skytrain ... it's a great way to get around the city and is air conditioned and safe. Tickets are easily purchased at the hotel reception.

We're back in Bangkok in November and we're trying the Shangri La Hotel this time around. I hope it lives up to the service we had at the Landmark.

Have a good trip.

9. Re: Shopping in Bangkok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 08:18