We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR-What an experience

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
JBR-What an experience

I doubt in my life I will ever experience a place like Bangkok again. We were a group of 8, 5 adults and 3 children aged 5,10 and 12. We were picked up from the airport after a flight on Nok Air from Phuket by a man Tong had organised for us. He was great, nice van, good driver and tried his best to point out places of interest on our way to the Holiday Inn Silom.

The Holiday Inn Silom was excellent, beautiful big foyer, door men who spot you a mile away coming ready with a smile and door held wide open for you. Can highly recommend.

The first couple of days I clung to the kids for dear life when ever close to a road, don't be fooled by the zebra like crossings, they the drivers don't stop for you like they do here. It truely was an experience just crossing a road. One day my sister and I were waiting for the lights to change so we could sprint across, just as the traffic stopped I went to take off only to have about 50 scooters flying off together towards me, I won't repeat my exact words but everyone in their cars had a great old laugh.

I had emailed and organised Nok before hand to take myself and my sister shopping, this turned out to be one of the best things I did. Nok is like a best friend, we had a great time shopping with her.

Firstly we caught a taxi to Chatuchak weekend markets, wow, they are massive, we shopped for a few hours and only touched on around 5% of the place. I'm so glad we had Nok with us because I'd still be trying to find my way out of them. We got there around 9.30 am and did it get hot, at the end of the aisles there would be a stall selling cold drinks. I found this was the best shopping from our whole trip, much cheaper then Phuket and different styles of clothing then what was in Phuket. I loved that, so if you spot something here buy it because you might not come across the same thing again. Nok also helped my sister with buying a wedding ring, as my sister and her partner were getting married in Bangkok 2 days later. I cannot praise Nok enough, we had great fun and when saying our goodbyes she handed Janelle and I a beautiful shawl each.

We spent alot of the time swimming at the Hotels pool as the heat would finely get a bit too much for the children, so a nice swim then they were ready for Bangkoks night life. I can still smell the street vendors cooking, the spices and different types of food you could get from them. No one got sick while here in Bangkok and we ate at all different places from street sellers to little resturants tucked away to the Holliday Inns Resturant. It did take me a while to get use to the food, but the rest tucked into it.

I am not able to fit everything we did for our week in Bangkok into this, but it is a place not to be missed. It certainly opened the childrens eyes and gave them memories they will never forget, and the kind friendly Thais who made this a great trip. By the way, towards the end of the week we were crossing the roads like locals do...

Rene

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR-What an experience

Great post Rene, sounds like you all had a great time!!!

12 days to go for me........we can't wait!!!

Nikki

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR-What an experience

Hi Nikki, I hope you have a great time, go and enjoy every minute of it.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,656 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR-What an experience

Hi Rene,

Glad you had a super time. I just love the craziness of Bangkok. Been back 3 weeks now and I have withdrawal symptoms. Ha Ha

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR-What an experience

Hi Rene,

I am looking forward to my weekend market experience in Bangkok. i have heard it does get very hot. Your children would have learnt more on their trip than they would have in any school for the 3 weeks.

Wendy

5. Re: JBR-What an experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 10:24