We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
jersey channel...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

i am arriving in bangkok for 1 night and i would like to stay in the riverside area, i did think of staying in the shangri la but the the amount of time that we will be in the hotel i think it will be a waste of money, so i have narrowed it down to the montien or meenan as i think they are a bit cheaper, has anyone stayed at these hotels any info would be great

also any idea on what web site i could book it with.

and one last question could anyone recommend a italian restaurant near the riverside

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
485 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

I've stayed at the Menam, not bad, I think we were able to get a double room at precisionreservations.com for about $45, but this was a couple of years ago. Room was a bit musty, but they were just starting to work on upgrading the rooms throughout the hotel, so I imagine they should be in fairly good nick now. Easy access for river transportation, frequent free shuttle boat to Saphan Taksin skytrain station. Nice pool area, decent breakfast included.

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

hello bones bk

what do you mean by easy access to town by shuttle boat is the hotel accross the river on the other side as i thought you would be able to walk out of your hotel and stroll about the area .

Oakland, California
Level Contributor
485 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

Menam is on the main (east) side of the river, but there is very little of interest to walk to around the hotel, mostly shops like hardware stores, etc, that locals frequent. There is a Tops Supermarket nearby, and a few places immediately outside of the hotel--shops, restaurants, convenience markets, massage, hairdressers, etc. It is south of Sathorn Bridge, so you can take a long walk or get the shuttle boat to Saphan Taksin Skytrain Station to get to Silom and other main places of interest in the city. Or grab the river express boat to access points of interest around Rattanakosin and Banglamphu. Although there is not much of interest to walk to around the Menam, it is convenient for quick and easy river transportation, and the appeal is primarily the riverside location and views, not the surrounding neighborhood.

kolkata
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

am also trying to decide between the Menaam or the Montien...we normally stay in the city but first time have decided to try the riverside for a change in view of the L Kranthong on 24th Nov. Am particularly interested to know if there is atleast one foot massage parlour within 5 mins walk of the hotel & if the exterior work hinted on website to finish on 31st Oct is actually finished?

can anyone help

Sydney
Level Contributor
444 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

Suebroad hi,

With regards to simply walking out of your hotel and seeing the sights:

Places of interest (cultural and commercial) to the casual Bangkok visitor are not really within walking distance of one another. Certainly not if you only have one night in the city and don't want to be spending all your time walking from place to place.

None of the riverside hotels are particularly close to any attractions, markets or decent shopping centres. And though they are located on the river, the areas surrounding these hotels - even the fancy Shangri La and Oriental - are not particularly interesting. (The Royal Orchide Sheraton may be somewhat of an exception to this generalisation as it's located in an older part of Bangkok that has some architecturally interesting, though generally decrepit, buildings. However, these would not be of any interest to most visitors.) Fortunately, transportation in the city is plentiful and cheap.

Additionally, being on the riverside gives you the advantage of being able to easily access the water taxis (express boats) that bypass Bangkok's horrendous traffic and take you quickly and cheaply directly to places such as the Royal Palace and Khao San Rd. or to the Saphin Taksin skytrain station which will then get you to most other places of interest. All riverside hotels also run their own water shuttles to this skytrain station.

I hope I haven't simply repeated things you already know. Perhaps I did not understand the gist of your messages. It just seemed to me that you were under the impression that by staying at either the Montien or Menan you would be able to stroll around the areas surrounding the hotels and have foot access to a range of attractions.

Also, see this very recent thread for some info on reasonably priced riverside (and non-riverside) accom. options:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k154…

Re. Italian restaurant: the Italian restaurant inside the Royal Orchid Sheraton (I think it's called Giorgio's) is pretty good and offers riverside dining but, like all hotel dining, it's a bit on the expensive side.

Hope this helps in some way,

CP

Cambridge,UK
Level Contributor
320 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

Giorgio's Italian restaurant at The Royal Orchid Sheraton is VERY expensive-thinkB60 for a bottle of unbranded plain water.Food is only OK though sometimes they'll have a promotion with a visiting chef.

jersey channel...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

hi cheeseburgerparadise

thanks for all the info my impressions of staying at the riverside hotels were that we could easily just walk to patpong market or suan lum night bazaar (by taxi) which i have heard is a bit better than patpong market, and also pop into a restaurant after for a meal but i can see that it wont be poss to do that so easily . i think that i am going to have to rethink about the hotel and pick another place ,the last time i was in bangkok i stayed in sukhumuit rd soi 15 it is now called the dream hotel, i found the area very noisy and too much fumes from the very traffic ,staying down by the river sounded a better area to stay in.all i want is a nice hotel to be able to have a wonder at night and go for a nice meal to finish the evening off as we are leaving the next day about lunch time to go to huahin , after we take the river trip which i thought was great . any other sugestions as i am getting a bit fed up with looking.

Sydney
Level Contributor
444 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

thanks for all the info my impressions of staying at the riverside hotels were that we could easily just walk to patpong market or suan lum night bazaar (by taxi) which i have heard is a bit better than patpong market, and also pop into a restaurant after for a meal but i can see that it wont be poss to do that so easily . i think that i am going to have to rethink about the hotel and pick another place ,the last time i was in bangkok i stayed in sukhumuit rd soi 15 it is now called the dream hotel, i found the area very noisy and too much fumes from the very traffic ,staying down by the river sounded a better area to stay in.all i want is a nice hotel to be able to have a wonder at night and go for a nice meal to finish the evening off as we are leaving the next day about lunch time to go to huahin , after we take the river trip which i thought was great . any other sugestions as i am getting a bit fed up with looking.

Hi again,

Well, you're correct in your assumption that riverside hotels give you a little bit of 'tranquility' amongst the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. However, as already stated, if you want to stay riverside and see or do anything in the city you're going to have to use taxis or public transport to get to and from the hotel.

I sense some reluctance on your part to use public transport, which is a pity as it it easy to use, efficient and even fun..........especially getting to and from the hotel via river taxi/free shuttle.

Alternatively, taxis are very cheap and plentiful.

So why not stay at any riverside hotel that meets your pricing criteria, shop and eat where you please(Siam Square/Pratunam area, Silon Rd. night market, etc.), and then head back to a pleasant hotel, with a great/romantic view, from where you'll be able to easily take that river excursion the next morning after a sumptuous riverside breakfast?

Did none of the hotels mentioned in the link I previously posted strike your fancy? The thread relates to family friendly hotels but those also tend to be the most reasonably priced as well.

My personal preference? Whatever centrally located riverside hotel will offer you a rate you're comfortable with. These hotels are more expensive but occasionally you can snag a pretty good deal.

I recently stayed at both the Millenium Hilton and the Royal Orchid Sheraton with the former giving us a very good rate. In addition to some booking sites check out the hotels' own websites and also e-mail them directly asking for best possible price. You may be pleasantly surprised with what they offer.

Best of luck,

CP

Sydney
Level Contributor
444 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

Whoah!!!

Apologies for pasting in your message. Was in there for my reference and I forgot to delete before hitting the 'Submit' button.

10. Re: montien or meenan hotel what shall it be

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 04:17