We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 mores sleeps...need advise!

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, Ontario
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
5 mores sleeps...need advise!

We are a couple travelling with our 11 year old son...going to Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam for 5 weeks. We are leaving this coming weekend and, thanks to the many posts on TA, most of the trip is under control. My only conundrum is with our 3 days in Bangkok; do we just stick with the sights in Bangkok or do we spend a day going to Ayuthaya or Kanchanaburi, etc.? For some reason I seem to be having trouble deciding what is the best thing to do...help would be appreciated from all of you veteran travellers out there! I still can't believe it's less than a week to go...so much to do. Thanks for all the great advice I have received over the past couple of months!

Ange.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
403 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 mores sleeps...need advise!

I would only go to Kanchanaburi for a day trip if the allied prisoner of war and death railway museums/cemeteries etc is of interest to you because thats the main theme. Of course there is the bridge over the river Kwai, but apart from its history, its just a rail bridge. Then theres the Tiger Temple (which is still quite a drive from town). You can get a daily boat ride from Bangkok to Ayuthaya and return which might be more fun. Another option is the floating markets which is a half day spent on the river and a lot of interesting fun.

Enjoy your trip

Coffs

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 mores sleeps...need advise!

When there is so much to see and do in Bangkok and if it is your first time, I would stick with the sites in Bangkok and leave the day trips for the next time.

It sounds like you will have quite a bit of travelling anyway and the day trips all include 3-6 hours round trip journeys.

Enjoy your trip

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 mores sleeps...need advise!

I agree... with only 3 days I would stick to Bangkok although the boat trip up to Ayuttaya could be a good option.... I would look at the floating markets.... do the temples... some shopping... the 3 days will fly..

Have a ball... I loved travelling with my son last year - he was 13 at the time - and he had a ball!

xx

Newcastle upon Tyne
Level Contributor
1,090 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 mores sleeps...need advise!

12 sleeps for us and we are travelling with a 11 and 13 year old, we are going with Tong to Floating market and then on to a traditional thai fishing village so we can experience traditional life, also doing all the bangkok sights too. Have a fantastic time, Vietnam and Cambodia are on my must do list to!

Michelle

Lexington, KY
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 mores sleeps...need advise!

how did you locate Tong? I know her numbers been here, but can't find it?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
7 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 mores sleeps...need advise!

In Bangkok definitely see:

The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Kaeo (Temple of the Emeral Buddha) - located together on the East side of Chao Praya.

If you are into Buddhas and temples, also Wat Pho - Temple of the Reclining Buddha (great pictures).

Chatuchak Weekend Market (Friday - Sunday) HUGE and fascinating.

Ayuthaya was/is very interesting, but will pretty much eat up your entire day. If your family is very interested in the history of Thailand / ancient sites it is a definite yes, otherwise you can see it another time.

I can't comment on Kanchanaburi except to say I researched the available things to do / see and decided to pass. Of course, I am an adult male, not an 11 year old. Tiger temple may be the coolest thing on the planet to an 11 year old...?

If you want to see a Thai shopping mall, go to MBK at National Stadium exit on the Skytrain/BTS. Very, very interesting and entertaining.

Near the train station / in the vicinity of the Grand Palace is the Chinatown / gold sellers area which is really cool and different. OF course, it will be more interesting if you are actually shopping for gold, but interesting no matter what.

So, what everything I have written above means is: this trip, stay in Bangkok for the 3 days unless your son's eyes light-up with the thought of seeing tigers. If so, spend a day going out there.

Enjoy your trip!

Kel

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
36 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 mores sleeps...need advise!

WOW...thanks for all the great advise; think we'll stick with Bangkok as per your advice. Will leave open the possibility of the boat trip as well but it sounds like Bangkok itself will be enough adventure for the Wilsons. Thanks to everyone for your great advice and good wishes...should be quite a trip!

Ange.

8. Re: 5 mores sleeps...need advise!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 02:19