We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from the Airport

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from the Airport

Hello Everyone,

I had posed this question earlier, but I just wanted to confirm that this is my safest/only option. I will be arriving in Bangkok at approx. midnight. I asked my hotel for a transfer, but they said they would not pick up that late. Is my only option to get a taxi at the airport? The hotel said that it would take approx. 1 1/2- 2 hours to get from the airport to the hotel which is on Khao San Rd (New Siam II). Does that sound correct? Is there another/safer option of getting from the airport to the hotel? I'm just a bit concerned as it will be quite late and I will be in no condition to haggle with the drivers. Thanks so much!

Renata

spain
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from the Airport

Hi there, saw your post and thought this might be helpful. We stayed at New Siam II 2005 and it is NOT on Khao San Road - if you go to the top of the road the Police Station is on the RIGHT - go right and then when you reach the Petrol Station it is the road opposite with a bank on the corner. Go to the bottom of that road and bear left - when you get to the end there is an alley-way - that is where the entrance to the guesthouse is about 20 yards. It was confusing for us and our driver - he had to ask about four times where the gh was. Dont panic, you will find it if you just persevere with these directions. Hope this helps you out. Have a great trip.

spain
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from the Airport

Hi again, I just put in Google "detailed map of Banglampu" and the first website to come up was travelfish.org. You will see on the map that you need to enter opposite the petrol station at number 41 and number 48 is your guesthouse. You can drive right down the road to where you are staying but when you get to number 49 get out of the taxi and walk through the alley to the entrance. These numbers obviously represent guesthouses etc., in that road on the map reference - they are not the numbers of the buildings. Hope this makes sense - it will when you see the map. Good luck. Karen.

Sydney
Level Contributor
498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from the Airport

Taxis are cheap and increasingly reliable but you could also try the official airport AOT limousine service.

AOT limo contact info:

Tel.: 66(0)21342323

E-mail: aotlimousine@yahoo.co.th

Their cars were brand spanking new and clean. They were on time picking us up from the hotel and when we arrived at the airport we did not have to wait at all even though we had made no advance booking.

They originally wanted 1300 baht, then went down to 1100 and eventually let us have the car (impressive cross between a jeep and SUV) for 800baht! Now, that's double what a single taxi should cost from the airport to the city but we used them because when we visited a few weeks ago we were 4 people and five large and heavy suitcases so we would have needed 2 taxis anyway.

In any case, do engage in some friendly bargaining even though AOT are the official airport service.

Hope this helps,

CP

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from the Airport

midnight in Bangkok is not late.

You will however be arriving at peak time at the airport so it could take some time to get through immigration and collect your luggage.

1 - 1.5 hours at that time of night from airport to KSR is stupid time.

50 minutes max should be you travel time.

Taxi from the public taxi Q outside door 8 on arrival level would be your cheapest

Limo service also available from TOT desk in the arrivals area.

DO NOT ACCEPT ANY OFFERS OF TAXI SIR FROM ANYONE IN THE ARRIVAL HALL. They are touts for private cars and are even more expensive.

You will not be able to haggle with a taxi driver as he will go on the meter.

Just give the driver 100 Baht and tell him tollway.

sit back relax and breath in the Bangkok air.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from the Airport

Thank you to everyone who responded! I have two additional questions based on your responses...

1) kazngaz: I was told that New Siam II was not on Khao San Rd but extremely close to it. Less than a minute walk. Is this true? What were your thoughts on the accomodations?

2) CheeseburgerParadise: Is the AOT something I can arrange at the airport or is it better doing it ahead of time? Is it worth it if I'm by myself or would it be just the same as taking a taxi?

Thank you again for your advice! Much appreciated!

spain
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from the Airport

Hi there, it is about 5 mins away from Khao San Rd - if that. Now the accommodation - there was no fridge in our room, very small bathroom and VERY BASIC. Also had ants. I did like it that there was CCTV in all the hallways.

They could organise all trips etc., from there and at the front desk very helpful. They arranged our minibus back to the airport - it was overbooked and there was a scrabble to get on it, but hey not the end of the world.

Great location. When you are there there are two ways in and out of the alleyway. In the opposite way to my directions if you go out of the main doors of the guesthouse go right up the alleyway and then right at the top. There is a lovely little coffee and cake shop which is just perfect for breakfast if you are Thai'd out ! ! ! !

Hope this all helps, Karen.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from the Airport

Thanks so much Karen. It's very helpful. I'll be there alone...is it relatively safe to walk around by myself or do I need to be a little worried? What about at night?

Sydney
Level Contributor
498 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from the Airport

Hello again RB78,

Have no idea if AOT limo from airport to hotle can be pre-arranged. As already mentioned, we did it on the spot at arrival with no waiting. Return from hotel to airport was arranged by phone the day before departure. They were on time. Contact them and see what they tell you regarding advance bookings.

As for price; as I said, ballpark figure for a taxi from airport is approx. 400 baht including tolls. I managed to get AOT down to 800 baht (from 1300 baht) but we would have needed 2 taxis in any case.

If you're only one person, go for the taxi.

CheeseburgerParadise: Is the AOT something I can arrange at the airport or is it better doing it ahead of time? Is it worth it if I'm by myself or would it be just the same as taking a taxi?

spain
Level Contributor
185 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation from the Airport

Hi Renata, I felt realy safe even though with my husband. I am not so sure now but when you get to the petrol station just before it there was a van which opened up at the back, put out tables and served drinks with fab music - it was great. Just down by where you are staying are loads of restaurants, street sellers, just about everything, so you can head back at night knowing you are nearlly home. If I think of anything else I will e mail you. We are in BKK from 9 to 11 December only then down to Hua Hin and then Samui for 2 months. Hope you had a fab trip. xx Karen.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
80 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation from the Airport

Thanks again to the both of you! Your advice was very helpful!