We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting married legal requirements

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
victoria
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
getting married legal requirements

hi we are getting married in phuket in may and have been told that we will need to go to Bangkok first to get the legal documentation done ,can anyone tell us how many days this takes as we are trying to plan our itinarary so we can book hotels etc but without knowing how long this takes is making it difficult.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,884 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting married legal requirements

If it is available to you, the simple solution is a civil ceremony at home followed by a ceremonial ceremony in Thailand. that means that legally you were married at home and you avoid all of the issues of having gotten married overseas.

If you do not want to do that, you will probably have to visit your consulate after the wedding to register the marriage with your government. I do not know why you would have to go to Bangkok for paperwork before the wedding, but I may be wrong.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting married legal requirements

Hi,

Take a look at www.creativeeventsasia.com

I have noticed they have been recommended on the Phuket forum several times.

A paragraph from their site:

REGISTRATION PACKAGE

To officially marry in Thailand requires that a certain amount of paperwork is carried out in Bankgkok. Creative Events Asia can oversee this process by pre-arranging all necessary appointments and documentation required, as well as providing you with an English speaking guide and transport to and from Government offices. In most instances, a legal marriage in Thailand is also recognised by authorities in your home country. For more information on the legal aspects of your Thai marriage, go to our information page.

Creative Events Asia provides two marriage registration packages – standard and express. Both packages have the following inclusions...

Transfers between airport/hotel/embassy/government offices

English speaking guide

Translation of all relevant documents, including your marriage certificate

Ministry stamp

Legal marriage certificate

Our STANDARD package requires 3 working days in Bangkok for completion, however, if time is an issue, our EXPRESS package will have you on your way to your holiday in 1 or 2 days.

Hope this helps

Sarah

xx

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: getting married legal requirements

Hi

We got married in Ko Lanta last week and did all the paperwork ourselves....it is a lot easier than i thought.

Also alot of people believe that they have to be married in Bangkok and then just have a ceremony in their chosen resort.

We arrived in Bangkok and went straight to the British Embassy with our papers....we were there for 8am when they opened. We gave them our completed affirmations, they photocopied our passports (I had already done this but they wanted to copy it theirselves) and gave us them back and they checked our decree absolutes. We paid 7200 Bahts (3600 each).This took a few minutes and then you collect them the following day between 9 & 11am.....takes a few minutes (you cannot have them back same day).

Next your affirmations have to be translated into Thai. There are loads of shops by the Embassy offering this service....DON'T use them. We did.

We paid 600 Bahts and it took an hour.

We then got a taxi to the Consular (make sure all these places/addresses are written in Thai cause the taxi drivers don't understand). Taxi took about 25mins and cost 100 Baht (£1.50).

You go to 2nd floor fill in a form (they give you). You need to take a photocopy of your passports with you. Wait for your turn, hand in papers, sit down for a few mins until they call you and then they tell you they will be ready in 2hrs.

After 2hrs we went back and were told that there were many mistakes on the translation. PANIC!!! It is now 3.35pm and it closes at 4pm. Across the road from the consular building there are a couple of translation shops. We went to the one next to the Esso garage. It took 20mins and they only charged us 200 Bahts (£3). Back to consular with only 2 mins to spare. They processed them for us and we were out by 4.30pm.

The next stage is to go to the local Amphur office to be unromantically officially married. We didn't do this. We took our papers to Ko Lanta and the hotel gave them to the local Amphur and he attended our ceremony as an observer and we were officially married during the ceremony on the beach. We paid 700 Bahts (£10) for the Amphurs transport.

So we started at the Embassy early morning for a few minutes and then gave up the whole of Tuesday day time for paperwork.

Sorry this is so long but wanted to put down the whole process. It really isn't difficult but does take up a complete day.

Our wedding was perfect.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding....ENJOY!!!

Mel

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,076 posts
1,389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting married legal requirements

You are much better to do your legal work at home and then have the ceremony in Phuket.

The Sheraton in Laguna just outside Phuket has an absolutely gorgeous chapel which conducts weddings. (but you have to be officially married first).

If marrying in Thailand then you will have to go to Bangkok and get papers stamp at the Australian Embassy and also at the Thai Government office.

My friends got married in April and they had all sorts of problems in the beginning, they wished they had married in the registry office in Australia then just went to Thailand for the ceremony which is conducted the same way as back home.

Good luck and best wishes !

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting married legal requirements

I had friends (yeah yeah I got friends prinny!!!! lol...Not just TA) That did it back to front but didnt tell us. They had this magnificent ceremony in Hong Kong I I went to their wedding and for us it was magical. But guess what!!! They actually did a registry service to make it all legal the day they got back. No one, and I mean noone knew unitil they did the docs at home.

So easy!

victoria
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting married legal requirements

congrats Mel on your wedding,thanks for the info it has been really helpful.We were so unsure which way to go about things we even thought about doing the registry office here but we thought it wouldnt make our day special and thats what we wanted.Your instructions have been great so we are going to attempt it our selves with your tips.Did you only have to pay for the guy from the local amphoe offices travel or did you have to also pay for him to be a guest at your wedding?

Pawtucket, RI
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: getting married legal requirements

"getting married legal requirements"

If one of you has a lot of money have your solicitor arrange for a Pre-nuptial agreement!

Unfortunately divorce statistics are pretty high!

divorcemag.com/statistics/statsWorld.shtml

Better safe than broke!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: getting married legal requirements

Hi there.

We are Australians that were legally married in Phuket in July of this year. We thought it all a bit daunting to have to do all the legal requirements in Bangkok prior to going to Phuket, BUT, we got in contact with Tong - and that was the absolute best thing we ever did. One of her guides, and a driver, picked us up at our hotel at our specified time, took us to the Australian Embassy where firstly we had to get Stat Decs done.

The guide (aaaah her name eludes me at this minute but she was FANTASTIC) helped us out so much. Heaps of translating, etc etc. So much traffic and she was just so lovely and accommodating.

After the Australian Embassy we had to go to the Foreign Ministries Office, which was about 1 hour drive from Australian Embassy. More paper work to be done and then we were told we could be waiting for 3 hours for our paper work to be "stamped" so we could be legally married. Ho Hum. Our guide suggested that the driver take us back to the hotel, she would sit and wait and look at the four walls and then bring the paperwork to us when it was ready. Such a lovely gesture. But we felt too guilty and we all waited together.

Finally the paperwork was ready which meant we could organise the ceremony and register our marriage.

Once in Phuket I contacted a celebrant (not too happy with him though - an Australian guy), had the ceremony at Yay Nui beach - absolutely beautiful and totally STRESS FREE!!!! Yayyyyy. We registered our marriage the following day with the Thai Authority and we are now legally married and it is recognised in Australia. We could have organised the Thai Authority to attend the ceremony but the next day to register was fine for us.

My main advice is to save your money and don't go through an agency (I did heaps of research on the net). Some of them charge up to $A4000 to do what we did in about 5 hours with the guide & driver. It was part of the fun and excitement for us and build up to our wedding. We have photos of that day too.

Any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers and happy wedding!!

Jacky

Canada / Thailand
Level Contributor
108 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: getting married legal requirements

Jacky

What was you legal cost with guide and driver and thai paperwork in Bangkok?

Thanks

10. Re: getting married legal requirements

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 22:19