We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! 9 hour lay over in Bangkok from 11 at night until 8...

Which Bangkok hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Help!! 9 hour lay over in Bangkok from 11 at night until 8...

Help!! 9 hour lay over in from 11 at night until 8 in the am...with my wife.

It is from 11pm until 8 am.

Any recommendations on activities or are we screwd?

Down Under
Level Contributor
648 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! 9 hour lay over in Bangkok from 11 at night until 8...

Wow bummer!

Check with the actual airport, they may have activities, tours etc that you can do. I think I'd be grabbing some much needed sleep by then, they are sure to have an airport hotel. Pity it is such a bad time of day.

happy travels

London
Level Contributor
8,148 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! 9 hour lay over in Bangkok from 11 at night until 8...

Ditch your wife and have good time - sorri only joking.

Find airport hotel and have good sleep.

Australia
Level Contributor
465 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! 9 hour lay over in Bangkok from 11 at night until 8...

yep I agree, have a good sleep and be rearing to go the next day. Can recommend the Amari airport. Has a connection bridge that you can walk across direct from the airport.

NY
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!! 9 hour lay over in Bangkok from 11 at night until 8...

If your flight arrives at 11 you will be out of customs say by midnight if you are lucky and will have to hop back to the airport by about 6AM. Just make sure you have any visa required, check that out as it depends on nature of stay and citizenship, but you are probably OK without one. Do the nearby hotel for at least a shower and 5 hours sleep, and book for that night and make sure they understand your very late arrival time. Try not to stay in the airport, my experience is that it is very crowed around midnight, and frankly the restrooms get overloaded. with all the transit passengers, many flights to other parts of Aisa, esp Japan and Korea leave late at night.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
239 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!! 9 hour lay over in Bangkok from 11 at night until 8...

I've had a similar layover in Bangkok. Unless you want to party the night away in town, your best and easiest bet will be to book a room at the Louis Tavern Day Hotel right in the airport- you don't even need to go through customs or immigration. It isn't cheap by Bangkok standards, but it is a lot cheaper than the Amari. They charge by the block of time. I think the initial block is for 4 hours and then thereafter it is an additional hour or 2 hour block of time. As I recall, in December 2004, I paid ~$65 for 7 hours. The rooms are fine with private bathrooms (including soap, towels, etc.) and a TV. The rooms are not luxurious, but they are clean and very convenient. Also, if you decide to leave the airport, you will have to pay a tax... so this might make your decision to stay in the airport easier.

NY
Level Contributor
3,573 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!! 9 hour lay over in Bangkok from 11 at night until 8...

That last advice re the hotel right in the airport is the best advice I have seen re the layover, their website is

http://www.miraclegrandhotel.com/dayroom.html

so you can check them out to make sure all is current.

This would avoid lots of hassle, e.g. going out through and back through customs, time to do it etc.