We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floating Markets?

London
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Floating Markets?

Hi

Am there for Sunday only and thought a boat cruise taking in the floating markets would be a good idea?

Please let me know thoughts,

Regards,

Chris

London
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floating Markets?

Hi Coxy72

The main floating market at Damnoen Saduak is 110 km outside Bangkok. Here you can hire a boat with driver to take you around the canals. You will have to book this either before you leave London or when you arrive in Thailand. I'm not sure of prices as I had a Thai guide for the day.

If you decide on the FM then go EARLY it gets really busy with us tourists :)

Or is it a boat cruise along the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok that you are looking for?

Charms

xx

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Floating Markets?

If you are only there for a Sunday do you really want to spend nearly 5 - 6 hours traveling.

I would suggest that you take in the Weekend Market.

More to see and do. Then if you do the market in the morning you could do the Grand Palace in the afternoon and Suan Lum at night for dinner.

canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floating Markets?

Just got back from Bangkok. The floating market costs about 1500 baht just for the boat. I didnt think it was that great. I'd recommend going to see the temples instead. For shopping, check out the street vendors on sukhamvit road right in front of central world plaza.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,230 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floating Markets?

its been 10 years, but there was a small floating market in Thonburi (or whatever you call the other side of the Chao Praya)... That can easily be seen on a quick longboat tour from Wat Arun if it still exists.

colorado
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Floating Markets?

how come that FM boat is 1,500 baht?

we paid 400 baht for all of us.

Tong says it's 300 - 400 baht for a boat ride..not per person..she goes further, so it's 400 baht. I personally dont think it will be that high.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
50 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Floating Markets?

If you only have one day, I think it would be wasted on Floating Markets.

We had only two days in Bangkok, and spent one of them there and wished that we hadn't. It was very touristy & took up most of the day.

Grand Palace & Temples are much more worth seeing.

I didn't see anything at the floating markets that you could not buy anywhere else.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,446 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Floating Markets?

Fabtrav, I think you may be talking about your day at the Damnoern Market being 400 baht for the boat ride.

Maybe the 1500 baht is for a rather expensive tour of the Chao Praya River and local floating markets in the klongs?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
2,803 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Floating Markets?

Chris,

If you could get a private guide like Tong for the day you could maximise your time in Bangkok.. you could be up early enough to go to the floating markets then head back to the city for an afternoon city tour... I would then head to Suan Lum Night Bazaar for dinner and shopping..

I personally think the floating markets is good fun, but we did it with Tong who definitely enhanced our experience, getting us there before the crowds hit, taking us to the best food boats and then taking us for a cruise through the back klongs in a residential area...

Reet xx

Surrey
Level Contributor
699 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Floating Markets?

We went to the floating market with a tour. Took quite a while to get there, got taken a long boat for a quick trip then onto the floating market itself where we had to pay 150 baht each to be rowed around. We were probably at the market no more that 40 minutes and you have no control - once you are taken back that's it. We then got taken to places we didn't want to go like the cobra show, the wood carving and the gem factory (didn't mind the elephant ride but that was and extra 600 baht).

If you only have one day, don't waste it on the market - go to the palace.

colorado
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Floating Markets?

Yonny,

I just refer to hotcanada's post.