We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

Kawasaki, Japan
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

We're planning a brief stop-over in Bangkok en route to Greece for 9 or 10 hours in late July. Our flight arrives at either 2:30 or 3:30pm on a Friday afternoon and our flight to Athens leaves at 12:35am.

During this time we would like to go into town for a good traditional Thai massage followed by dinner in a good typical outdoor foodstall before returning to the airport. We speak English, so it's not so important if the massage place is geared towards Japanese customers.

One complication is, that we have a 6 year old son who will not be interested in getting a massage and we're not too keen on havinig him wonder off alone into the madness of the city while we try to get a relaxing massage. So I guess we'll have to take turns and have separate one hour sessions each while one of us looks after him.

While we have him wait during our massages, I think he would be interested in seeing a market where they sell things like live snakes and frogs (to eat of course) and foodstalls deep frying bugs, etc..

Would this be possible in one general location?

I don't suppose food markets remain open until late afternoon/early evening.

Any suggestions on a place where we can combine massage/kiddie entertainment/traditional foodstalls

would be welcome.

It would also be helpful if there was a major hotel nearby where we will be able to catch a reliable "metred" cab back to the airport at around 9:30 pm.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Boston, United...
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

I think you are very optimistic, arrive 15:30,clear immigration then collect baggage clear customs taxi through rush hour to the city,do all you want and get back to the airport still a busy time! all this assumes your incoming flight is on time and there are no holdups/long queues etc.I wouldn't attempt it and the fact that your post was unanswered since yesterday suggests I'm not alone?

best of luck if you try it.......H

Kawasaki, Japan
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

Thanks SuanLum60 for your thoughts.

Reading back my original post, I admit it does seem like I posed a few too many questions.

I was considering this because I know someone who does this on a regular basis on her way to Europe. But I'm assuming that would have been back in the days of the old airport. Looking at a map, the new airpport doesn't look any further than Don Muang and I understand there's a newly built motorway into the city?

Also, our flight arrives at 2:30pm and I know Thai Airways is reasonably punctual.

Also, we'll be checking our baggage all the way to Athens, and even receive our boarding pass in advance at Narita? So we should be able to proceed straight to customs & immigration.

As for the traffic, I know it's notorious in Bangkok and I would understand if it takes us a little more than an hour to get into the city in the late afternoon, but would it still be that busy after 9

or 9:30pm?

At most airports, it shouldn't take more than an hour to clear immigration, but is it THAT disorganised at the new Bangkok airport?

We must do this, as otherwise, we'll be stuck inside the airport terminal for 10 hours, which does not appeal to me.

Thanks again.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Manchester
Level Contributor
227 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

I would definately do it!

10 hours stuck in the airport, no thanks!

Even if there are delays and long queues and you don't get as much time as expected, you'll still be able to have a massage and some delicious Thai food and get to relax for a couple of hours instead of being stuck in the airport.

Apologies though on not being able to actually recommend on where to do this, we always stay around Khao San rd which is mainly the backpackers area and maybe not so suitable for a little one.

There are massage spas and food stalls just about everywhere so hopefully someone will be able to give you some advice where to head to.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

Hi;

I would definitely take a short trip to downtown

Bangkok when I have a 10hours window between flight

at the airport. I traveled 2x in BKK last year 2007 and had good experience at this new airport. Custom

checks passport and baggages claims were quick and

clear within 45 minutes . So, you should have plenty

of times at the least 6 free hours to visit downtown. However, I rather have the whole week just

to stay around Bangkok to see this amazing city.

Enjoy,

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
47 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

Yes, you should totally do it. It is doable, just a massage and dinner, why not? The new airport is pretty much well connected and make sure to tell the taxi to take all highways he'll need to, you'll pay the toll.

I'm trying to think of a good massage place near live frogs/edible bugs but so far I'm coming up empty. Will post again if I think of something.

Have fun

-P

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

Hi;

The Highway toll road from the new airport to downtown Bangkok is excellent . It will take only 30minutes to any good traditional Thai's massages

in the Sukhumvit road . There are plenty of MP.

shops in that area. All the taxis drivers can take

you without any problem even if you are a newbie in this city. Again, Bangkok is a very unique capital

in the SE. Asia. I spent the whole 18days vacation

in year 2007 just for this city and I just start

scratches the surfaces . But, that is a great excuse

for me to come back and visit Bangkok this spring 2008.

Enjoy,

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Asia
World
Kawasaki, Japan
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

I was wondering if my plan was so outrageous or so disrespectful of Bangkok lovers (for such a short visit) that I was not getting any positive responses. But checking back, I was pleasantly surprised to read your encouraging posts.

I was looking into the Sukhumvit road area as a good all-around area that is closer to the airport with easy access to the motorways. I think I'll do a bit of research and find someplace.

I've passed through Don Muang airport a couple of times in recent years on the way to Koh Samui/Koh Tao, but haven't been in Bangkok proper since 1981, when I made an unscheduled visit on my way back to the UK when the old Boeing 707 Bangladesh Airlines plane broke down at Don Muang. Me and some fellow budget travellers were put up at the Narai Hotel on Silom road for 4 days with all meals provided of course. Walking through Patpong on one of those evenings was quite an experience at the tender age of 14.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot has changed since, but a lot has remained the same. It's just that I'm the type who often has these Kafkaesque nightmares of being stuck in an unfamiliar city trying to make it back to the airport to catch my flight. So I just wanted some words of encouragement.

Thanks again.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

Hi;

Definitely Bangkok has changed a lot in the last 10years. And the great points are the improvements

public transportations with skytrain , subways and express highways . That is how I noticed when I revisited this city 2x in year 2007 and totally liked

the vibrant atmosphere of this great capital.

It is okay however and just a short stop to enjoy this city. I travel to Bangkok and spend time for pleasure with a much more affordable cost when compare to places in Europe .

Enjoy,

New York City
Level Contributor
101 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

I arrived in Bangkok at 5 pm on a Sunday and exchanged money while waiting for my bags, got into a metered taxi and checked into my hotel, showered and was in my favorite Thai massage place by 7:30 pm. But I have done it all at least 10 times before and knew exactly where I was going and what I was doing and there was only myself to deal with so that sped things up. The new airport is easy to negotiate and not that far away from town. I stayed in the Silom area but Sukhumvit is even closer. There is an area of Sukhumvit -- is it soi 38 that is known for foodstalls.. please double check that. You can also do the food court of any of the big malls, Emporium, Siam Center, Siam Paragon (upscale!) for a great selection of food choices in a/c comfort. I don't know about the entertainment for kids or the live snakes, etc. Maybe check the Nancy Chandler web site for info on kids entertainment.

California
Level Contributor
2,108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traditional massage and dinner at a good foodstall in 10 hrs

Hi;

I agree that you should allow approx. 2 hours to clear the I mmigrations and bags and travel time to

downtown Sukhumvit road. I went through the Bangkok

new airport 2x in year 2007 in the midnight and also the afternoon last time. For both times , it took me less than 2 hours to arrive my Majestic suites hotel on Sukhumvit . And this airport is always busy 24/7.

Enjoy,